Possible score

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

My eX Step sister's husband (no banjo's playing LOL) works for Remington in NY. I called him and he has some gun stocks from a guy that used to make them in a place in Herkimer. He is getting a care package together for me. So that will be really cool on bolt action pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMayoIII

Sooooo.... Are you going to have some gun stock blanks for sale, assuming this "possible score" happens? And will they come with a COA from "guy that used to make them"? I'm possibly interested in some maybe:rolleyes::biggrin:

edstreet

One stock maker I know often sells high end gunstock blanks and scraps, most commonly they are 2 1/2" square and 5-6" long, others are 1/2" by 3-4". Even buying the blanks and cutting them up would work as a last case resort.

Jim Smith

edicehouse,

That's a great idea. A few years ago, I picked up some premium Walnut blanks that came from very old gunstocks. I've been saving them for just the right application and bolt action kit might be just the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim Smith

hanau

Might want to make sure that the gun stocks are not worth much to gun collectors before cutting them up.
Never know you may cut up a very expensive stock.

edstreet

Might want to make sure that the gun stocks are not worth much to gun collectors before cutting them up.
Never know you may cut up a very expensive stock.

The problem is 2 fold.

1) for a block to be a pen it must be somewhat dense packed due to the area needed for pens, for a stock that density can, and often is, less dense.

2) the higher grade stock the more dense it is, which is also the ideal setup for pens.

The solution of using scraps is the best of both worlds.

This is one I did earlier on and it is full size statesman.
IMG_4470.JPG

This is the block it was cut from. 14 1/2mm hole, 20mm outside diam.
IMG_4477.JPG

This went to my uncle. I was short on the cap but that was workable.
IMG_4333.JPG

As you can see I did not allow much clearance or fudge factor. Precision is the name of the game here :)

But then when you are working with lumber like this.
w-2753-01.jpg

w-1996-02.jpg

w_1839_01.jpg

Then frugal becomes the nature of the beast. Quite rightfully so as most all of these were cut from $1,500+ stock blanks.

Top Bottom