Possible kit modification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I like the EDC Dura Click except for the refill extender which, in my opinion, can easily be lost. Has anyone tried shortening the barrel by the length of the extender? If so, did it affect the overall look/feel of the pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

Not with this kit, but I have used the Schmidt 88 mech in slimline pro kits. Without an extender you will have a pen that is a good length for a shirt pocket. I don't remember the length But I liked it. Fairly easy to figure out.

magpens

I like the EDC Dura Click except for the refill extender which, in my opinion, can easily be lost. Has anyone tried shortening the barrel by the length of the extender? If so, did it affect the overall look/feel of the pen?

I hear you . . . another work-around is to make a small replacement extender for the SKM-88 click mechanism ....

... just a short acrylic or Alumilite or brass dowel about 3/16" diam and about 3/4" long, flat both ends, drill 1/8" to a depth of about 1/4" to fit over the "plunger", thereby replacing the extender

Drill depth is approx and you will have to adjust for best fit. . If you measure the extender length you can calculate the drill depth

Once you work that out you can use the same drill depth for all subsequent Duras.

I glue this on to the "plunger" of the SKM-88 click mech. . Sure beats having that dumb extender to worry about !

magpens

@Monty
Having tried shortening the pen barrel as you suggested, I meant to say this as well . . .

The "thing" about the PSI EDC Dura Click (actually called DuraClick EDC, on PSI website, FWIW), referring to the picture, is this :

1634487167171.png

At the top end of the pen you have a knurled metal ring, into which is screwed the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism.
The clip is below that knurled ring, which makes the clip a little bit lower (compared to the overall pen length) than on many other kit pens.
And if the picture were to show the fully retracted position of the mechanism, the clip would visually appear even a bit lower.

Frankly, I do not like the positioning of the clip on the completed pen.
The pen fits a little too high in your shirt pocket; and then the weight distribution makes it a little unbalanced, in my opinion.

So . . . if you shorten the barrel in order to dispense with the internal small plastic refill extender, the clip "lowering" effect is even greater.

The weight distribution is worsened by the barrel shortening and I just don't like the feel (or look) of the pen in my shirt pocket.

With regard to the effect of barrel-shortening on the feel of the pen in your hand when writing, there will indeed be an effect.
But that effect is hard to quantify because it depends on the size of the hand which is doing the writing.
I have large hands and there is a negative effect which is definitely noticeable for me.

My overall impression of this pen kit is that it was designed quickly and carelessly without much regard or allowance for the SKM-88 size.

Berea did a much better job of incorporating the SKM-88 click mechanism into the design of their "Blade" pen kit.
I believe that they placed a special order with the Schmidt factory, ordering click mechanisms with specially elongated "plungers" in order to avoid having to use any refill "extender". .

The result for the Berea "Blade" is a much superior pen design, in my opinion, although I am not saying that the "Blade" is an ideal design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom