Possible Invention Idea for the very lazy turner (like me!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I don't link to remove 60 degree centers when applying CA. I was thinking of attaching to TBC bushings to each end of a mandrel - at least one may have to be threaded so allowing the CA bushings and blanks to ride along the mandrel. See my attempt to draw it below.
The idea is not to remove the drive and live centers - simply place this gizmo in between them. I would make it long enough to accept at least 2 long barrels.

Rick Herrell..are you listening? :), better yet I will call you.
Lazy CA Mandrel.jpg

PS. I have placed CA bushings directly on my 60 degree centers, but it is a PITN to eliminate the wobble.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Tony, why not turn some bushings out of UHMW plastic. Instead of flat on one side cones, cut a 60 deg recess in the back. End up with a funnel that will seat on your drive and live center.

TonyL

It wobbles (I have tried that). And I want to finish at least two barrels at a time. Thanks though!

Herman

I don't link to remove 60 degree centers when applying CA. I was thinking of attaching to TBC bushings to each end of a mandrel - at least one may have to be threaded so allowing the CA bushings and blanks to ride along the mandrel. See my attempt to draw it below.
The idea is not to remove the drive and live centers - simply place this gizmo in between them. I would make it long enough to accept at least 2 long barrels.

Rick Herrell..are you listening? :), better yet I will call you.
View attachment 289331

PS. I have placed CA bushings directly on my 60 degree centers, but it is a PITN to eliminate the wobble.
Greetings Tony and Marc. My suggestion: Make UHMW or Nylon bushings a little longer and place a small halen headless screw in the middle of it (M5 for example). I believe only one bushing will be enough, preferably the one on the left due to the engine torque. The right you can keep simple. It must remain stable and the small screw will not unbalance the assembly.
Regards,

magpens

I do without any bushings at all.

Yes, I get a little bit of CA on my dead and live centers, but that can easily be removed by a short soak in a solvent. . Soak only the tips in shallow cup.

Magicbob

The CA Finishing Bushings we make at T. Shadow are made to use with 60 degree centers, but you must do one barrel at a time

egnald

Hi Tony, here is an idea using a plastic blank to make 60-degree mandrel adaptors, maybe it is something that you can build upon:

First End (Tailstock) - make sort of a mandrel saver type device - for at least a little mandrel shaft adjustability.
- Use a plastic blank about 2-1/2 inches long.
- Drill a 7mm hole through the blank.
- Without removing the blank, replace the 7mm drill with a 60-degree center drill.
- Drill a 60 degree entrance / chamfer on the end of the blank.
- Glue in a 7mm tube so it is flush with the flat (non chamfered) side of the blank.
- Barrel trim to square the flat (non chamfered) side of the blank to square it up.

Second End (Headstock)
- make a mandrel holder.
- Use the other half of the plastic blank.
- Drill a 1/4 inch hole through the blank.
- Without removing the blank, replace the 1/4 drill with a 60-degree center drill.
- Drill a 60 degree entrance / chamfer on the end of the blank.
- Glue in an appropriate length of mandrel or "C" drill rod (0.242 inches) for the mandrel.

Use standard HDPE No-Stick CA bushings and your blanks loaded up against the headstock end of the mandrel. Then slide the free end of the mandrel into the brass tube on the tailstock piece and tighten. (Use spacers if necessary).

Regards,
Dave

IMG_1540 Cropped.jpg

TonyL

Thank you. Nice idea.

I was thinking (from hs to ts):
SS bushing w/ 60d female "dimple/hole" the and female thread on the other side to accept a male threaded mandrel.
The the same on the other side. I would make the mandrel 10 inches long and use HDPE or the like spaces to make -up any slack.

I guess I can use mandrels of varying lengths to accomodate X number of blanks. Maybe I will try it.

I have some large SS bushings. I guess I can tap female threads.

Top Bottom