Possible dedicated buffing station

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am not a big HF fan, but saw this yesterday and thought it would serve as a decent dedicated buffing station. I don't have the need for a buffing station, but thought others may want to give this a try.

Benchtop Wood Lathe - 8" x 12"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I own this lathe and have used it for two years. It has performed reliably. I really like the VS. I do intend to use it as a buffing station in the future, but I have made many pens with this lathe so far.

csr67

I had that very same HF Lathe, before upgrading to a Rikon recently. I took the HF lathe back and got this pedestal buffer for under $35 with a coupon:

6 in. Buffer

I bought some upgraded cotton wheels/compound from Amazon, and this buffer is perfect. It really does a great job on my Acrylics and CA wood finishes. I think this is a better option than the small HF Lathe. The MT1 on that lathe is not compatible with most buffer setups, and the motor is not nearly as powerful as the dedicated buffer.

toddlajoie

I had that very same HF Lathe, before upgrading to a Rikon recently. I took the HF lathe back and got this pedestal buffer for under $35 with a coupon:

6 in. Buffer

I bought some upgraded cotton wheels/compound from Amazon, and this buffer is perfect. It really does a great job on my Acrylics and CA wood finishes. I think this is a better option than the small HF Lathe. The MT1 on that lathe is not compatible with most buffer setups, and the motor is not nearly as powerful as the dedicated buffer.

LOL. I was just at HF earlier today and saw that and thought the same thing... Then I saw this thread and thought the 2 wheel buffer was a better option than the lathe...:biggrin:

Definitely need to replace the wheels, and since there are only 2 wheels, you can't use it to replace the Beale 3 Wheel Buffing system, but for acrylic/CA buffing it should be perfect...

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I bought this lathe when they first came out with it a few years ago. I bought it and use it for a buffing station. I first used it with a wool paint roller. I recently bought the acrylic buffing system with two wheels. It works just fine for a buffing station. It uses a MT 1 taper so it has limited use for accessories. Also, I tried to use my PenPro with it just for fun and the tool rest will not go low enough to use the PenPro. So I just use it for buffing.

Top Bottom