Portable drill guide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Anyone have the Rockler drill guide? https://www.rockler.com/rockler-portable-drill-guide

How's it work and hold up? Any other options of similar quality? (I'm aware of the Woodpeckers version. Looks like an awesome tool but hard to justify spending drill press money on something like this.) don't have the space for a full size drill press unfortunately.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I long time ago purchased a cheaper version of that but it was a Craftsman but Rockler sells the exact same one but different color.
https://www.rockler.com/portable-drill-guide

Needed to drill boards with long line of holes in straight lines. Waste of money was the one I bought. The one you show looks more sturdy. Mine was rickety and not stable enough. Made a platform to screw the device to because you need to be able to clamp it solid. I wound up making a jig similar to a box joint jig. Flat board with about 5 or 6 holes drilled at proper spacing done on a drill press. Put a cleat on board to get and keep depth off edge accurate. When 5 holes were drilled I placed a dowel of proper size in last hole and set up to drill the next 4 holes. Did this till complete. I was able to use a self centering bit to help with holes. They sell plastic jigs for shelfing in cabinets that are the same idea. I also seen them in aluminum. Bottom line not a fan of that device. Now I have something more accurate made for a dremel tool that I use many times, but not what you were looking for.

Roy Nielsen

Anyone have the Rockler drill guide? https://www.rockler.com/rockler-portable-drill-guide

How's it work and hold up? Any other options of similar quality? (I'm aware of the Woodpeckers version. Looks like an awesome tool but hard to justify spending drill press money on something like this.) don't have the space for a full size drill press unfortunately.

I bought the drill guide and vise not too long after it was released, maybe around 2 years ago. I haven't used it enough to give an opinion on longevity. So far it has worked fine for the odd occasion that I want a precisely vertical hole drilled in something that I can't put in the drill press. It did have a small sticky spot on one of the rods that required a slight extra pressure to push through, but that seems to have gone away after a little use. I've not yet tried it for drilling pen blanks, but likely will give that a try before too long; I don't see why it wouldn't work well for that purpose once the vise was properly aligned. The next time I order from Rockler, I'll get the edge guide; this wasn't sold when I bought mine.

As for similar, Woodpecker has a couple drill guides; see https://www.woodpeck.com/drilling/drill-guides.html.

With what I know is available, I'd order this again if I needed another for whatever reason.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had a couple of the earlier models over the years and keep one on hand. They serve a very specific or narrow purpose for me such as drilling in the interior of a board or plywood that a drill press cannot reach and help in keeping the angle accurate. ON mine, I double check the angle often. I do dry runs and see how easy or difficult to move the guide off of its target point as I squeeze the drill's trigger. Dry runs getting used to the weight being well above the base is a necessity for good work.

They are not a good substitute for a drill press. That said, having traveled in third world countries, I have seen amazing things people could do with minimal tools. The way that works is that it is more the skill and experience of the operator than the tool itself. So, unless well experienced, don't expect the tool to improve one's experience alone.

Jay

I have the Rockler drill guide. If you are going to use it to drill pen blanks you will need the self-centering drill vise. I purchased both because I don't have a conventional drill press. I have limited space like you and have a shopsmith. Set up of the drill press function was time consuming so I went to plan B due to space limitations. With the self-centering drill vise the tool works well for pen blanks. It is costly, but when space is a limitation you have to make sacrifices. Rockler has a package deal for the guide, vice and edge guide. I have not tried the edge guide yet so can't comment on it.
Jay

jttheclockman

You do not say what the purpose of use that you are intending. To me if you are looking at drilling pen blanks than a tabletop drill press is so so so much better than this thing. I hear everyone talking about space but if you can not fit a tabletop drill press than man you need a bigger shop. :) Or if talking pens than drill them on the lathe. To use that tool for pen blanks just seems iffy to me. Good luck.

EricRN

Thanks. I need to
You do not say what the purpose of use that you are intending. To me if you are looking at drilling pen blanks than a tabletop drill press is so so so much better than this thing. I hear everyone talking about space but if you can not fit a tabletop drill press than man you need a bigger shop. :) Or if talking pens than drill them on the lathe. To use that tool for pen blanks just seems iffy to me. Good luck.
hah! I do need a bigger shop!!! I'm not using it for pen blanks. Want to drill a hole in the head of a mallet to accept the handle. Need it to be perfectly perpendicular. A drill press is unquestionably the better tool for the job but don't have the space and don't want to spend the money at this point.

jttheclockman

Thanks. I need to

hah! I do need a bigger shop!!! I'm not using it for pen blanks. Want to drill a hole in the head of a mallet to accept the handle. Need it to be perfectly perpendicular. A drill press is unquestionably the better tool for the job but don't have the space and don't want to spend the money at this point.
Oh my if this is a one time thing why spend that kind of money. To do what you want you can use a dowel centering jig or even make one. Even if you do not drill the exact hole needed you can drill a pilot hole that is close to the size. Once you have a pilot hole a bit will follow the hole even if you have to do it in steps. Dowel centering jigs are more versatile in that you can use for various things even if you do not use the for dowels. That would be the way I would go. Good luck. Here is a good video of what I am talking about. Done these before. They work well.

EricRN

Oh my if this is a one time thing why spend that kind of money. To do what you want you can use a dowel centering jig or even make one. Even if you do not drill the exact hole needed you can drill a pilot hole that is close to the size. Once you have a pilot hole a bit will follow the hole even if you have to do it in steps. Dowel centering jigs are more versatile in that you can use for various things even if you do not use the for dowels. That would be the way I would go. Good luck.
Yeah. Do you think I could use a dowel centering jig with a forstner bit? The hole needs to be 1-1.25 inches. I'd thought that would be too big for a dowel jig. I'd also thought about just getting the much cheaper milescraft version. But I've been burned before with cheap tools that end up being a waste

jttheclockman

Yeah. Do you think I could use a dowel centering jig with a forstner bit? The hole needs to be 1-1.25 inches. I'd thought that would be too big for a dowel jig. I'd also thought about just getting the much cheaper milescraft version. But I've been burned before with cheap tools that end up being a waste
Again need to think outside the box. If you want to drill with a Forstner bit, to what depth?? Will it be deeper that the bit itself?? Not that it matters much. Once the bit gets past its side depth it will naturally follow the hole already drilled. But what I would do is make a square box out of scraps that match the diameter of the bit being used. Now use that box to guide the bit. It has to drill perfect because the bit rides against 4 sides of the box. But again as with all jigs they need to be held secure in some fashion. Weather this means adding some offset legs to clamp to work table or work piece depends on the piece being drilled. That piece needs to be secured somehow. It is harder to explain than to do. With forstner bits you need to drill slowly and needs to be secure. They will grab the wood and fling it. To tell you the truth I would try drilling on a flat board and I bet being those bits do not wander like other bits you can drill straight as an arrow just by eye. No need for jigs.

EricRN

Again need to think outside the box. If you want to drill with a Forstner bit, to what depth?? Will it be deeper that the bit itself?? Not that it matters much. Once the bit gets past its side depth it will naturally follow the hole already drilled. But what I would do is make a square box out of scraps that match the diameter of the bit being used. Now use that box to guide the bit. It has to drill perfect because the bit rides against 4 sides of the box. But again as with all jigs they need to be held secure in some fashion. Weather this means adding some offset legs to clamp to work table or work piece depends on the piece being drilled. That piece needs to be secured somehow. It is harder to explain than to do. With forstner bits you need to drill slowly and needs to be secure. They will grab the wood and fling it. To tell you the truth I would try drilling on a flat board and I bet being those bits do not wander like other bits you can drill straight as an arrow just by eye. No need for jigs.
I know exactly what you are talking about. Nice idea and nice point about it following the hole once it gets deep enough. Thanks.

randyrls

Thanks. I need to

Eric; Are you making a mallet or a gavel? Take the SQUARE stock for the head and make a "guide". Cut 2 small pieces of 2x4 and glue them together so the pieces form a 90 degree inside angle lengthwise. Drill using the 2x4 inside corner as your guide.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom