Pop off valve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuperDave

I use the gauge on my compressor (set to 60psi), a second on the pot (also set to 60 psi) and the ball valve to control pressure and vacuum. The pop-off valve was just one more place to leak.

I have had one pot under long term vacuum testing for the past 18 hours with no change in vacuum. I am going to do a long term pressure check next. If it performs as well as the vacuum test, I will complete the second pot.

D

CaptG

Yes, along with regulator with gage and combo pressure/vacuum gage, and two valves. ALWAYS leave the safty valve on the pressure pot.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I use the gauge on my compressor and another one on the tanks, but I did away with any pressure safety stuff. I also cast at 120#, but I like to live on the edge. Unless you are running a compressor made for scuba tanks or some other industrial high pressure system, you are not going to blow up a tank. We have had them up over 200# without any problems. I would not recommend doing that though.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Dion,

The pot I just made for Reb has the original pov that comes with the pot. You just have to adjust it to get more pressure but as you can see in that post, I have had only leak 3# in 3 days when starting at 80#.

bobkeyes

All,

I have been watching this thread since it started. Here is my contribution.

I have a friend who is a custom car painter. He now paints with only 3 fingers on one hand and without one ear and some horrible scaring on his face. Lucky he didn't loose the sight in one eye.

The POV was leaking on his paint pot so he removed it and plugged the hole. He had a good compressor, 25hp, with a brand name regulator. He noticed the compressor was laboring and turned to check it out. That's when the top on the tank ruptured and the shrapnel took away his fingers and ear.

My advice, and his I'm sure, would be to never, that's NEVER, or NEVER NEVER run any kind of pressure vessel without a POV in working order. I pull mine to be sure it is working every time I use it.

Just my 2 and a word to the wise. Please be careful! Your hands, eyes, ears, face, life, and family are too valuable to risk on a $10 item. If it leaks, fix or replace it with a good one. Please don't take it off.

OldWrangler

Hey Dion, Did you already get your pot at HF. I found one at the pawn shop in Conroe for $25 but I haven't looked at it. Guy that has it says it cost over $200 new and hasn't been used in 10 years. Hope he cleaned it up real good before putting it away. I'll let you know this weekend.

For my 2 cents worth, the POV is a must. Did you find a good one somewhere? See you soon. Happy New Year

randyrls

I use the gauge on my compressor and another one on the tanks, but I did away with any pressure safety stuff. I also cast at 120#, but I like to live on the edge. Unless you are running a compressor made for scuba tanks or some other industrial high pressure system, you are not going to blow up a tank. We have had them up over 200# without any problems. I would not recommend doing that though.

Neil; Be cautious! I was at a dive shop on St Thomas when a tank in the back "failed catastrophically". They had a shroud around the tanks in the filling station. The guy filling the tanks, came out and had to sit down. Well, actually two guys grabbed him as he fainted. I suspect that he had to change underwear as well.

Top Bottom