Poor Pen Blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John473p

Could anybody please help with with this problem.
I am trying to cast some pen blanks with a company name and phone number on them.
I am using waterproof vinyl paper on an inkjet printer, I am using Amazing clear cast resin.
I am leaving the blank in my pressure pot for two days and then once it is out of the pressure pot I am leaving it for a further three days before I am turning it.
After I have gone through the micro pads I am left with a blank that is cloudy (the label is supposed to be black) plus each end of the blank has gone grey.
I have attached a picture hoping it can help.

Attachments

• pen blank1.jpg
    pen blank1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 195
  • pen blank2.jpg
    pen blank2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 188

duncsuss

Looks like you will have to apply a sealing coat over the ink (after it's glued to the tube) - it seems the resin is acting as a solvent and the ink is migrating into it. If you are using two-part resin, it could be either the resin or the hardener/catalyst which is the main culprit.

You could try coating with CA, or perhaps Krylon fixative. To experiment, all you need is a sample of the printed label, and a drop of the casting resin and watch what happens over time. Seal an area with CA, leave part unsealed, and see if there's a visible difference after a couple of days.

Top Bottom