Poor Man's Tablesaw Sleds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mnerland

I searched all over for simple tablesaw sleds. Most were very nice, but a bit over-engineered in my opinion. Decided to make my own with what I had on hand. I made 3 separate sleds in 30, 45, and 60 degrees fences. ( No adjustment necessary) Used 1/2 " MDF, maple slides, and 1 " aluminum angle. Full disclosure.....I have not used them yet, as I just finished tonight. Hopefully my "knots" will be more accurate, now. I'm sure many of you, have similar versions of these, but I could not find any....in my searches. Let me know what you think and where I could improve.

Mike

Attachments

• Tablesaw Sleds.jpg
    Tablesaw Sleds.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 230

jttheclockman

They can work without too much effort but a few things because you mentioned use for knots. That angle needs to be 90 degrees to the flat of the sled. If it is over 90 degrees the blank will roll upwards and throw your cuts off. That is why it is a good idea to clamp the blank down instead of against the fence like you will need to do. You will need to do that on both sides of the cut using spring clamps or such. You will need to have a stop block at the back so that the blank is positioned the same as you rotate the cuts. I have included one of my sleds.

Attachments

• 45 degree sled for tablesaw.JPG
    45 degree sled for tablesaw.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 203

mnerland

Thanks for the feedback, John. I see your point about clamp "down". I'm new to pen turning and segmenting, but so glad to have a resource such as the IAP members and their experience. Thanks again!
Mike

Top Bottom