Polymer clay questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

I'm going to pick up some polymer clay tomorrow to do a couple of theme pens I've been thinking about. Only problem is that I've never worked with polymer clay and have no idea what to do with it. Any advice that would save me from an expensive trial and error session would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike_O

Fred,

I have had a great time with the polymer clay, and I am sure that you will too. I have a few newer polymer clay pens in my album. I don't have a lot of advice for you, but here is what I will say:
1- Experiment and have fun with small batches. Try some new ideas.
2- Plan on using any packet that you open right away. If you are going to do a 7 color pen, you had better be prepared to make at least 14 blanks. (one 2 oz square makes a minimum of 2 large style pens)
3- If you buy from Michael's, they always have a 40% off 1 item coupon in the paper. You can buy some cheap multi packs this way.
4- Most problems (tear out, chipping) occur when using the penmill. I found that squaring the ends with the sander worked best, or just making sure that the ends were square before baking by putting the bushings on before baking.

Have a good time and post some pics when you are done.

Cheers,

Mike

Doghouse

If it is possible, do not roll the pen in layers to build up the clay. It will tear out along the layers. It is best to make it one thick layer and compress the ends together. Make sure you have a very rough tube. If not, it will spin out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom