Polymer Clay...Continued

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

Playing a bit with texture - this pen took all of 10 minutes to make, then 20 minutes of oven time, then 2 coats of polycrylic. No Sanding, No CA, No high gloss finish. Probably won't be a big seller, but it's fun to experiment.

I made a thin sheet of black clay, pressed the clay onto a 27/64" brass tube then used a Q-tip to smear purple mica powder all over it. I then took a 3/8" dowel, slid the blank onto it, then sort of like a rolling pin, I rolled the blank on the textured pad you see in the photos.

Baked it, then 2 coats of Polycrylic (to keep the mica powder from coming off), and assembled the pen.
004.JPG

005.JPG006.JPG008.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

There is potential there and opens alot more ideas. I like what you are doing and I am following because this type blank is something I will be trying. If I can do what I want it maybe my only clay pen but who knows. Keep up the good work.

KMCloonan

How does it feel in your hand?
It feels ok - It feels textured, but not uncomfortable - I think I will try a less pronounced texture (not as deep) and see what that looks and feels like. It's easy to do this - simply don't press as hard as you roll the blank over the textured mat.

jttheclockman

It feels ok - It feels textured, but not uncomfortable - I think I will try a less pronounced texture (not as deep) and see what that looks and feels like. It's easy to do this - simply don't press as hard as you roll the blank over the textured mat.
Probably has that Tactile feel to it. :):):)

sorcerertd

That looks great! Now I'm wondering if, after you bake it, it could be clear cast over? There's a lot of people out there that would like the texture as a kind of fidget feature.

KMCloonan

That looks great! Now I'm wondering if, after you bake it, it could be clear cast over? There's a lot of people out there that would like the texture as a kind of fidget feature.
I think in order to clear cast over the texture, (basically encapsulating the clay/tube in clear cast resin) you would need to thin the clay portion, as it is already flush with the bushings. Am I interpreting your question correctly?

sorcerertd

I think in order to clear cast over the texture, (basically encapsulating the clay/tube in clear cast resin) you would need to thin the clay portion, as it is already flush with the bushings. Am I interpreting your question correctly?
Kind of, yes. I was just "thinking out loud" about it. Obviously it would have to be turned thinner and then turned to proper size after casting. The combination of materials would make for some pretty interesting results, especially if it wasn't just clear cast.

Top Bottom