Polymer Clay Baking Time and Temperature

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

This is new ground for me and I had no intention of going there. I bought a dog paw cane that i thought was a blank. I watched many videos including PSI's and many "professionals" on YT.

Is there a rule of thumb, like 275 degrees for 15 minutes per quarter inch of thickness. There seems to be a opinion "war" out there on cooking times and temps.

I am sure this is trial and error, but if you have a formula that works for you, I would love to know what it is. I understand that this is just your experience. Thank you.

PS. I am buying an oven thermometer. That seems to be the only thing that any one that I watched agrees on.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Some of it depends on the brand of polyclay. Different temps and times for the various brands. What did the cane seller recommend using as a base if any and what combination of heat and time did they say?

gtriever

Tony, I can't help with the Polyclay, but I do have a recommendation for a good accurate oven probe. I highly recommend ThermoWorks products, in this case the ThermoWorks Dot. Couple it with the Air Probe accessory and you'd be all set.

CreativeCanes

As mentioned above, temp really rely's on the brand of clay.

If you bought from PSI, it's quite frustrating to look at their site for canes as they have no indication of what brand of clay has been used and what temperature to bake at on their listings. These are two extremely important tidbits of info that are needed for a successful blank that won't shatter if dropped or turn to dust later (under cured clay breaks down and turns to a chalky powder over time even if it looks & feels good in the beginning).

275 f is a recommended temperature for Sculpey brands of clay and also for Pardo clay. For sure wait until you have that oven thermometer as most ovens are off slightly (I have a newish oven and it's off by 5 degrees).

Fimo is recommended at 230f degrees & Kato is 300 degress F.

So knowing the brand is super important. Avoiding certain clay's are also important as some are more of a kids brand (play clay) and others are professional quality. Sculpey III is notorious for being brittle and will snap in a heartbeat even if cured correctly, Premo & Souffle are the best in the Sculpey line and it's what I use for my canes. So if you need to buy some clay to add to the blank make sure to avoid the "cheaper brands" and stick with one that will last. (Premo, Fimo Professional, Souffle, Pardo or cernit).

For baking time, I always bake for 1 hour for all my blanks (from a cold oven, so at least 45 to 55 mins at temp). More time is a good thing as long as your temperature is stable. The time they have on the packages is bare minimum.

If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to message me. Always happy to help with clay questions.

TonyL

Thank you all. What seems to be the opinion of the folks on YouTube is that the seller's instructions significantly understate the baking time - they all appear to agree on the temperature within 25 degrees. I don't what PSI uses for the dog paw cane, but I bought one of the Sculpey brands to serve as my base under the canes. I am not going to do anything until early next week..I need a dedicated oven and a glass working surface. Thanks again...you are a wonderful group.

Bob in SF

Tony - Great info from Melanie.

I recommend using an aluminum foil dome over your work in the oven to distribute the heat and avoid clay scorching.

I also like Donna Kato's book: The Art of Polymer Clay Creative Surface Effects

Have fun! - Bob

Edward Cypher

Love your Morpho blue butterfly.

Just started in PC and now am following you on Facebook, printest and you tube. If you ever find out what PSI uses I would be interested in knowing as I bought a few of the canes just to play with.
Thanks

Ed Cypher

As mentioned above, temp really rely's on the brand of clay.

If you bought from PSI, it's quite frustrating to look at their site for canes as they have no indication of what brand of clay has been used and what temperature to bake at on their listings. These are two extremely important tidbits of info that are needed for a successful blank that won't shatter if dropped or turn to dust later (under cured clay breaks down and turns to a chalky powder over time even if it looks & feels good in the beginning).

275 f is a recommended temperature for Sculpey brands of clay and also for Pardo clay. For sure wait until you have that oven thermometer as most ovens are off slightly (I have a newish oven and it's off by 5 degrees).

Fimo is recommended at 230f degrees & Kato is 300 degress F.

So knowing the brand is super important. Avoiding certain clay's are also important as some are more of a kids brand (play clay) and others are professional quality. Sculpey III is notorious for being brittle and will snap in a heartbeat even if cured correctly, Premo & Souffle are the best in the Sculpey line and it's what I use for my canes. So if you need to buy some clay to add to the blank make sure to avoid the "cheaper brands" and stick with one that will last. (Premo, Fimo Professional, Souffle, Pardo or cernit).

For baking time, I always bake for 1 hour for all my blanks (from a cold oven, so at least 45 to 55 mins at temp). More time is a good thing as long as your temperature is stable. The time they have on the packages is bare minimum.

If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to message me. Always happy to help with clay questions.

TonyL

Just started in PC and now am following you on Facebook, printest and you tube. If you ever find out what PSI uses I would be interested in knowing as I bought a few of the canes just to play with.
Thanks

Ed Cypher

There is some gal on YouTube that actually tested PSI kit.
PSI also has a 19 minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWk01-MTRYI&t=1001s

I'm Tanner Tucker (you will see my questions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYhmgPVePt4&t=30s

I am in the process of buying all of the stuff from Michael and Joanne's

I barely visit FB anymore - only when my wife wants me to see something.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom