Polyester Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

charliekap

Does PR have a shelf life? If it does and I need to order more are there alternatives to PR for casting pictures that you would suggest? From where do you recommend I order whatever product you recommend?

thanks in advance,
charlie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Does PR have a shelf life? If it does and I need to order more are there alternatives to PR for casting pictures that you would suggest? From where do you recommend I order whatever product you recommend?

thanks in advance,
charlie

Shelf life for PR is about 12 months. Best kept away from hot storage. Cooler is better. Alumilite is an alternative.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I'm doing real small batches so I get mine from Michael's or Hobby Lobby with coupons. There is a manufactured date on the bottom of each can but you almost have to have xray vision to see it. Really, it's there if it's Castin Craft brand but the light has to be just right or you won't see it. Never tried the other stuff so can't comment.
WB

reddwil

Shelf life for PR is about 12 months. Best kept away from hot storage. Cooler is better. Alumilite is an alternative.[/QUOTE]

I just spoke with US Composites about some issues I am have with a "new" gallon of resin. The guy is telling me that it only has a 3 month shelf life. I've heard anywhere from 6-12 here on the forum. I've never kept any longer than 3 months. He did say there are factors that could cause it to go bad faster. heating and cooling can cause seperation which can cause the yellowing issue I have.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Shelf life for PR is about 12 months. Best kept away from hot storage. Cooler is better. Alumilite is an alternative.

I just spoke with US Composites about some issues I am have with a "new" gallon of resin. The guy is telling me that it only has a 3 month shelf life. I've heard anywhere from 6-12 here on the forum. I've never kept any longer than 3 months. He did say there are factors that could cause it to go bad faster. heating and cooling can cause seperation which can cause the yellowing issue I have.[/quote]

We found, years ago that some PR yellows in sunlight---store in as dark a location as possible (it's in our basement--also cool)

reddwil

Ed, I keep mine in our utility room which stays between 68-72. I had always been told to keep it out of sun and heat. Thats the main reason I called today. I knew it had been stored properly. They other reason was how fast it went bad. I opened it a week ago and it was fine, and a week later it was cloudy and yellow. Never had that happen before.

qballizhere

I just spoke with US Composites about some issues I am have with a "new" gallon of resin. The guy is telling me that it only has a 3 month shelf life. I've heard anywhere from 6-12 here on the forum. I've never kept any longer than 3 months. He did say there are factors that could cause it to go bad faster. heating and cooling can cause seperation which can cause the yellowing issue I have.

We found, years ago that some PR yellows in sunlight---store in as dark a location as possible (it's in our basement--also cool)[/quote]

Ed I dont know how or where you store your pr, but when I moved from TX to Denver it was just a week later we had our first frost. Not everything was finished being unpacked and my pr froze once it thawed out it became unusable and had yellowing. it was only about a 1 1/2 gallons I didnt have enough containers when I got the 5 gallon bucket.

Top Bottom