Poly Resin question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jehster1

Was looking at some blanks on the AZ Silhouette site and came across this:
Please Note: The blank is made from polyester resin and therefore should not be turned with a Carbide Tool. High speed tools are recommended for any polyester resin!

My last blank was poly and I used carbide and it came out fine. Did I just get lucky or is there a reason behind this warning. I ask because I have a matching pen to make and was curious, I'll probably still use my carbide unless it's a super big no-no that nobody has told me about yet. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

For as long as I have been turning pens (10 years), I have certainly used carbide tipped tools for turning polyester resin and everything else.

His recommendation would seem to be for High Speed Steel (HSS) lathe tools. . I have never read that before now. . I am not going to change after having done about 2000 pens successfully (in my opinion !).

walshjp17

I switched from regular carbide cutters to negative rake carbide cutters and the chip out one usually experiences with PR is dramatically reduced. They even make quick work of the dreaded (and evil) Inlace Acrylester.

Pjohnson

I agree with the comments. When I used HSS with PR I need to touch up the skew during the turning. PR is hard and can be brittle. In my experience a soft touch with a sharp tool.

Top Bottom