Poly over BLO?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Does anyone know if poly can be applied over BLO? I have been messing with some burl and really like how the BLO makes the patterns pop, but I want to put poly over it for durability.

Before anyone suggests it, CA is out of the question. I have a massive allergy to it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I have often applied solvent based Poly over BLO with no Shellac binding layer, I just wait at least 3 days.

For waterborne Poly I wait a day or two longer, wipe down with DNA then put on a binding layer of Shellac before the Poly. Keep in mind that the stabilized Shellacs like Zinnsser contain some chemical that can cause a reaction with waterborne finishes making them craze like a broken car window. For this application I make shellac from flakes.

brewtang

Oil based poly can be put over the blo at any time with no problem. Water based you should wait until the blo is cured - ie you can't smell it any more. Like everyone else said, shellac is a nearly universal finishing product, compatible with everything, just make sure that it's de-waxed. The only Zinsser shellac that's dewaxed is the Seal Coat. The regular shellac has wax in it still. The poly will never stick - probably the casue of the crazing mentioned above.

OOPS

Some of the higher quality oil based poly formulas have BLO in them. There is no need to do it separately.

Top Bottom