Poly Clay contest rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

2017 Poly Clay contest

Poly Clay contest
Entry Form
This contest is for blanks made from Polymer Clay.
This contest is open to everyone.
This contest conforms to the Universal Contest Rules, unless otherwise specified in the following rules for this contest.
1. The blanks for this contest are to be made with Polymer Clay only. There may be a finish over the polymer clay.
2. All blanks must be made into a pen (this is a penturners forum), there is no restriction on the type of pen, ballpoint, rollerball, fountain, kit or kitless. (you can only enter your pen in one contest)
3. The blanks and the pen made from the blank for this contest are to be made solely by the person entering the contest (with the exception that you may used purchased canes, but you must state in the description if you purchased the canes and where you purchased them from).
4. No use of CNC or Laser or your submission will be disqualified
5. The blanks must not be or have been shown anywhere on the IAP or anywhere else before the end of this contest or your submission will be disqualified.
6. You must submit two photos of the finished pen (do not put your name on the photo), having your name on a photo will have your entry returned to you for resubmission if there is enough time or if not enough time your submission will be disqualified. Remember that these photos are to show off the blank, so make sure your pen and photos shows off your blank.
7. Included with the pictures of your pen, you need to also submit a description of your blank that shows what kind of work went into the making of the blank, If you purchased the canes and if so where did you purchase them, without saying something that will give away who you are. Please remember to not put your name or your business name on the photos. Keep this limited to 200 words or less.
8. You must follow all the rules in the Universal Contest Rules that are not covered in the rules above.
9. All entries must be submitted using the entry form provided. Entry Form
10. All entries must be submitted by Feb 20th Pacific Time
Judging for this contest will be by a vote of the members of the IAP, following the rules concerning voting in the Universal Contest Rules.
Prizes
1st place TBD
2nd place TBD
3rd place TBD

All rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.
Please be creative and have a good time making your blanks and pens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Ok, so I have a question on my one of my own contests.
It came up last year and I think we said it was ok.
Here is the situation. Can someone make a polyclay blank, covering the entire tube, then as a finish over the polyclay, cast it in clear resin? Keep in mind we do allow CA, and other finishes over the polyclay. I believe we told someone last year this would be ok after the contest had started, and we did so because the cast resin would be so thin and wouldn't be really any more than a finish, like CA.

Mr Vic

:rolleyes: Kick them to the freestyle casting! :tongue:

Actually maybe if you say may have a clear finish it would cover CA, Resins, Melted Plexiglas, etc.

CREID

:rolleyes: Kick them to the freestyle casting! :tongue:

Actually maybe if you say may have a clear finish it would cover CA, Resins, Melted Plexiglas, etc.

That's kind of the way we looked at it last year. I just am not sure how I would want to say it, or even if I should say it in the rules. I don't want anyone to get confused and think they can cast pieces of polyclay in resin. What we did last year (I think anyway, it was almost a year ago:)) was when someone submitted one that way we decided it didn't really do anything to change it anymore than any other finish would do.

CREID

I have another question I would like input on.
Now that PSI is selling a polyclay kit and also, you can buy canes to use in making polyclay pens from PSI and hundreds of other small makers on places like Etsy.
Do I require that they completely make all the polyclay components themselves. Or do I allow people to buy canes and then use them to make pens.
This one is real difficult for me, so I would really appreciate all the input I can get. Polyclay is growing in popularity in pen making, I see more people all the time doing them, mostly on some other site than IAP.

Mr Vic

Now you're asking the tough question.:eek:

We don't require folks to grow and harvest their own trees for wood blanks nor that they mine the aluminum and make the Pepsi can they will cut up to use for segmenting. We don't even have them make the Clay.

So, I do believe that their description of process should include the source/fabrication of the cane if used. If entry "A" made his own butterfly/rose cane and entry "B" used a similar cane purchased from Toni Ransfield, I would probably give "A" a higher score then "B" even if it wasn't quit as perfect.

My dimes worth.

CREID

Now you're asking the tough question.:eek:

We don't require folks to grow and harvest their own trees for wood blanks nor that they mine the aluminum and make the Pepsi can they will cut up to use for segmenting. We don't even have them make the Clay.

So, I do believe that their description of process should include the source/fabrication of the cane if used. If entry "A" made his own butterfly/rose cane and entry "B" used a similar cane purchased from Toni Ransfield, I would probably give "A" a higher score then "B" even if it wasn't quit as perfect.

My dimes worth.

You're right it is a tough one. I made the same case to myself about the wood and such. And I also said to myself, if we are going to expand the use of polyclay here, we want to encourage people to use this medium and canes are not that easy to make, especially the intricate ones. Then I asked myself, where do we draw the line of making it yourself.

So having said that, I really want to here from as many people as possible on this before we make a decision. And I do mean we on this.

And thanks Mr. Vic, I appreciate your comments and the idea of people giving a higher score to someone that makes their own cane.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Concerning your question on the canes. Let them buy the canes and make the blank.
You can keep splitting hairs until you have to have a contest for each subdivision of "what if".

Let them make the canes and Cast them in clear resin if they want to, it doesnt affect the artistry of the construction of the blank, it just provides a clear coat.

These contests were started for entertainment for the members and to encourage participation and build will and fellowship while celebrating the IAP's birthday. They were not intended to be cut throat intense competitions with a 200 page rule book with rulings from a 9 panel court. If you have enough feedback from dissatisfied members you can change it next time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom