Poll Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I was just informed that hidden poll results are visible on Forum Runner. Do any of you know if there is anything that can be done about that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
By a regular user? Any mods can see the results.

It would not surprise me if it was indeed the case that a regular user could see the results. That feature is a mod, not a core function of vB. FR accommodates very few mods as they are intended.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just confirmed from my iPad and a test account that it is visible. Kind of a messed up results page with no text, but you can see the vote counts.

I just posted a query over at the mod site, vB.org to see if there's a quick fix for this. I can't think of one off the top of my head, other than some quick and dirty code edit someone might tip me off to.

Not holding my breath for a quick fix.

mbroberg

Unless we can come up for some sort of fix for this I think I will go to some sort of vote by email system. Public results could skew the voting as well as cause bad feelings if someone's pen doesn't get many votes.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Forum Runner

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Mike I am sorry about this, but I don't have a fix. The only thing I could possibly try is to prevent that particular thread from access by forum runner, but that would take a code modification I'd have to develop, and I promised myself I would not screw around with the forum code during the bash.

That's the bad news. The good news is that this will be a non-issue next year after a forum upgrade.

I think a vote-by-mail will drive you nuts, but I can set up an email if you like.

One further option would be to use SurveyMonkey: Free online survey software & questionnaire tool

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Half the people don't use Forum-Runner, the other half don't seem real gung-ho on it.

But, I guess the point is, "So what if they can see the results?"

No one should get their feathers ruffled because the population did not appreciate the beauty of one or the other entry---we are all supposed to be adults!!

Just a FWIW,

Ed

PR_Princess

Mike, I tend to agree with Ed. (Except for that "being adults" bit!)

I think that members that actually use FR to any large extent is probably pretty small. I have FR on my phone, but don't care for it, and rarely use it. I prefer the regular web format.

Email voting here might just be one of those times when the cure is worse than the illness.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike, I tend to agree with Ed. (Except for that "being adults" bit!)

I think that members that actually use FR to any large extent is probably pretty small. I have FR on my phone, but don't care for it, and rarely use it. I prefer the regular web format.

Email voting here might just be one of those times when the cure is worse than the illness.
Except for agreeing with Ed at all :eek:, I'll agree with Dawn. I am planning to do as I was going to and such is life. I'm not having any desire to try and add another several hundred e-mails to my list of "stuff" to sort through.

mbroberg

Survey Monkey looked promising. I even set up the survey. Then I noticed that the free account limits responses to 100.:mad: I'd really like to keep hidden results hidden. At least I have several days to think about it. I may end up just going with what we have.

mbroberg

I agree it is not the end of the world. But I think I've found my solution. I'll be using Kwik Survey. Free with unlimited responses. Plus I can set it up in advance so that it will automatically open up at midnight on the date I choose. All I'll have to do is post a link to the survey.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
You might want to check how these work. I used one for the photo contest a couple of years ago. The problem is, folks can clear their cookies and vote multiple times. They can also get all of their friends to log on and vote, even if they are not IAP members.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You might want to check how these work. I used one for the photo contest a couple of years ago. The problem is, folks can clear their cookies and vote multiple times. They can also get all of their friends to log on and vote, even if they are not IAP members.

"What's wrong with that?" said Mayor Daley!!

mbroberg

I cleared my cookies once, swore I'd never drink again.

Guess I'll just use the IAP system and try to figure something better out for next year.

Thanks for the information.

Top Bottom