Polish On Top of CA Finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jac42779

I was wandering what anyone might use if anything on top of a CA Finish. I watched a demostration on youtube and they used a plastic polish on top of the CA. Wander what a friction polish would do on top of a CA finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Jason, welcome to the site from Michigan. I use EEE polish after micro mesh, then Brasso. And friction polish on top of ca does give it a great shine.

warreng8170

I always use Mequiar's PlastX after MM'ing through 12000. I use a small piece of old t-shirt and flood it with polish then spin the lathe at top speed. Then wipe down with a clean piece of t-shirt.

*edit* I would help if I actually spelled the product right :)

Last edited:

barrysj

Ditto on the Meguiar's....phenomenal shine. I use to MM for 30 min trying to get that perfect shine...now its 10 min of MM and 45 seconds of polish!

-Dude

ldb2000

I was wandering what anyone might use if anything on top of a CA Finish. I watched a demostration on youtube and they used a plastic polish on top of the CA. Wander what a friction polish would do on top of a CA finish?

I think you are misunderstanding what a polish like Plastic polish and a friction polish are . a Friction polish is a shellac based "Finish" which you are correct "goes on top of" the sealer coat as a finish but wears off rather quickly .
Plastic Polish is a compound that polishes an already existing finish , like CA or Lacquer or poly ... It is used as a way of removing fine scratch patterns from previous sanding steps . It is a liquid form of sandpaper but with very very fine grit .

Last edited:

lazyguy

Some time ago I picked up this buffing kit at HF and I am sure I paid less so likely it was a sale. Either way one day while staring at a blank on the lathe that I was not satisfied with the a light bulb came on. I use the rouge bar in a very un-orthodox method by applying directly to the piece then work it with a piece of denim. I then buff out with a clean spot on my cloth and check for happiness. If not happy I repeat the process. I then follow up with Johnson's paste wax basically to clean up any residue left by the rouge. The bar will likely last for a thousand blanks it doesn't require much if your sanding and or MM was done right. Even if not done right it will polish those little inclusions, divots and pits so that while they are still there they are just glossy as the "upper" surface.

bitshird

I wait 24 hours before final sanding and polishing but I know others don't wait at all.
I wait at least until the next morning, probably any thing over a few hours is good, even with accelerator, depending on how much build up you have accelerator is only going to work on the surface, or just under it. I've found my finishes are more durable if I wait to wet sand and polish and I wind up with less blush.

Rangertrek

On top of a CA finish or on acrylic, I use Novus 2 fine scratch remover and then MAAS metal polish. Novus is a bit expensive; but, I have used the same bottle for over a year now, a little goes a long way. Same for the MAAS polish, I am still using the same tube for over a year and a half.

Top Bottom