Pls let me know what you think

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXPhi67

Hello all,

Its been a while since I could have any kind of real activity (or what passes for me as real activity) in the group. Not to mention that I have not had the opportunity to spend more than a couple of hours in my shop over the last year and half.

Well, as things tend to do - the worm has turned and I can once again devote some time to one of my favorite hobbies. As part of this, I have been doing some re-organizing, cleaning, and re-evaluating of my stock and what I want to keep doing. During this, one of my kids came up with what I though was a pretty cool idea and I would like to see what all of you think.

This is a trade idea and I'm posting it here to keep it clear from actual trades as well as just get the general feedback. I think this is fairly original, but it may have been done before and feedback on the success/failure if it has would be good too.

My son calls it a "Pass It Forward Trade".

The way it would work is that folks would sign up to participate and everyone would have a number of 1 to whatever number of participants there are (lets say there are 10).

Number one would assemble a small box (say the small USPS flat rate box) consisting of blanks, kits, &/or unique pen materials they have (for me, that would most likely include Axis Antler and or Mesquite Burl). They then ship it to #2. #2 takes a picture of what was sent and posts receipt of the box. They then take no more than 1/2 of the items and replaces it with stuff from their stock. The box is then mailed to #3. #3 repeats and send it to #4. This continues till it gets to the last person (#10 for this example). After #10 completes taking/replacing, they mail it to #1. Upon receipt of the box, #1 would post with pictures.

Each participate would contact the person that they are to ship to to get shipping info.

If this sounds like something that folks would like to participate in - I will be happy to organize and "manage" it.

One of the things that jumped out at me when I was going over this was that postage would vary for members out of the US. Personally, I'm willing to work with that and shoulder the additional cost if my person is out of the US. But, any suggestions on this point would be great.

So, let me know what you think and if you think there are anyway to tweak it to enhance it - just let me know.

Finally, one of the ideas behind this is not to off load trash. :) It really should be to engage the group membership and be an additional opportunity to show case anything members might have that is unique and interesting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
The idea is Noble, and Awesome! The actualy process would no doubt create problems.

Missing boxes, Complaints of getting a box full of trash, Or people taking Jr Gent kits and leaving slims, etc. etc. It is sad, but there are people here that are simply trying to get over on somebody else at every opportunity. It sucks, but it is the truth.

We just had a box like go around at another forum I frequent... it started on the far east coast, went into Canada and back, then to Hawaii and back and is now on it's second lap around... The box traveled without any hitches, without any complaints... we did have a coordinator that tracked and watched that it kept moving.... I would think that this forum is as straight up and adult as any other and it should not be a hassle.

DennisM

The idea is Noble, and Awesome! The actually process would no doubt create problems.

Missing boxes, Complaints of getting a box full of trash, Or people taking Jr Gent kits and leaving slims, etc. etc. It is sad, but there are people here that are simply trying to get over on somebody else at every opportunity. It sucks, but it is the truth.

Very good point, but I would have to say at least here, as some recent activities have shown, this would not be a major issue. The folks are are really honest and straight forward. Not many if any at all, would want to risk the disrespect they would cause on the forum to risk doing anything that would appear underhanded.

In fact most here have gone above and beyond to show the exact opposite in trade already. If this would ever be done again I would be one to sign up.

Wheaties

I think it would work. Though it does only take 1 guy/gal to screw it up. But from what I've seen on this forum- nothing but stand up people. I say go for it. It would be fun for everyone and if 1 guy/gal decides to screw it up, then I guess we'll be out $40-$50. I'd be more concerned about USPS than the people here.

Karin Voorhis

I am feeling POZ about it! I am game too. Understanding that it can get lost and things happen I would still be up for a new box or two.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The idea is Noble, and Awesome! The actualy process would no doubt create problems.

This sounds interesting !

TXPhi67

Game on!

Well, it looks like there is interest and I am more than happy to get it started as well as ride herd on it.

Before I post something in the Trade board, any additional suggestions or thoughts?

Monty - if you have any words of wisdom, I would love to hear it. Public or PM is cool with me.

Thanks,

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you want, go for it but read this first if you haven't done so already -
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50734 first.

And be ready for this.
.... Complaints of getting a box full of trash, Or people taking Jr Gent kits and leaving slims, etc. etc. ...

Also, I started both of my boxes out in a box that would fit in a Flat Rate Priority envelope that would cost under $5 to mail. Somewhere along the way, both boxes ended up in, I believe, a Large Flat Rate box costing almost $14 to mail.

TXPhi67

Thanks

Monty,

Thanks for pointing out the activity rules, I had not read it.

I've sent a request to Cav and will go from there.

Assuming I get Cav's blessing, I'm looking to post the kick off in the Trades forum this weekend and will update this post with a note.

Also, after reading through your post on the one you did - I'm going to mirror your format much closer as it seems to really make more sense and looks like it worked (mostly).

Finally, thanks for the caution - like any group event, I'm sure there will be a problem or two and I'll just deal with it as best as I can. Do, you think it would help if I add in a suggestion to do a PM communication immediately prior to shipping between the shipper and the receiver to validate folks are still able and willing to participate.

Thanks again!

jleiwig

Do, you think it would help if I add in a suggestion to do a PM communication immediately prior to shipping between the shipper and the receiver to validate folks are still able and willing to participate.

Thanks again!

Yes, between the shipper, receiver and yourself. I personally think that if anyone wants to participate they should have to donate $5 to the IAP. That way if the boxes get lost again, at least the IAP gets something out of it.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Do, you think it would help if I add in a suggestion to do a PM communication immediately prior to shipping between the shipper and the receiver to validate folks are still able and willing to participate.

Thanks again!
Yes, between the shipper, receiver and yourself. I personally think that if anyone wants to participate they should have to donate $5 to the IAP. That way if the boxes get lost again, at least the IAP gets something out of it.
You definitely want to know who has it, when and where they ship it to and when the next one receives the package.
And I like the $5 idea.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Let me touch base with Brian on this and get the details smoothed out. One thing I would strongly suggest is that the box size that starts the activity stay the same size throughout the entire process. It is great when folks are generous, but sometimes the increase in size makes the mailing cost an issue.

TXPhi67

So far so good

Cav has sent me a PM outlining the next steps of what needs to be done. I have a little composition homework to do, but I'm confident that I'll get a passing grade.

Between Monty's coaching, some additional suggestions in this post, and Cav's excellent instructions - I figure even I can't screw this one up. :) At least not as bad as the pieces of of what was suppose to be a nice buffalo horn pen that now litters my shop.

Anyway - keep your eyes open as I will post here when all is ready to go and I will point you to the actual activity post in the Trades forum.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm and excellent advice.

Take care,

gebx

I think it is a good idea, im game. Might get something I am not familiar with and will try to put something I think is different and unique.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Cav has sent me a PM outlining the next steps of what needs to be done. I have a little composition homework to do, but I'm confident that I'll get a passing grade.

Between Monty's coaching, some additional suggestions in this post, and Cav's excellent instructions - I figure even I can't screw this one up. :) At least not as bad as the pieces of of what was suppose to be a nice buffalo horn pen that now litters my shop.

Anyway - keep your eyes open as I will post here when all is ready to go and I will point you to the actual activity post in the Trades forum.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm and excellent advice.

Take care,
Don't forget to take into account our International members. Shipping to them is more and not everyone is willing to pay the little extra expense in shipping Internationally.

Top Bottom