Please help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I need to save face with my wife, sister and brother in law and am looking for some suggestions. I recently attended an outdoor wedding in the mountains of North Carolina. After enjoying locally brewed beer and participating in a bourbon tasting, I stumbled over a piece of heavily weathered wood. I picked it up and started carrying it to the car and was subjected several derisive comments like "what are you going to do make a pen with that"? Stubborn pride being what it is, I am going to make a pen with it. I am not sure but think that it might be pine of some sort. I have a pressure pot but have not done any stabilizing or waste wood blanks. Any suggestions for making something really special out of this wood? The wood is reasonably solid.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Casting some worthless wood blanks is a good idea - but there aren't too many voids in most of them for the resin to fill (unless you create some voids). Frankly, I like the 2nd from the left and the far right. I think the knots might make interesting features. Maybe Sierra/Gatsby?

Also, how about just dying one? Dunk a lighter one in red or yellow vegetable dye. If it's grey, might even try blue.

But be careful on the pride thing. It can cause real trouble. DAMHIKT

rblakemore

The wood looks pretty solid and I doubt that it needs to be stabilized. The fourth from the left has a nice edge on the top and could be cut for a piece of cast worthless. I like the knots and curly areas also. Instead of a single piece pen, how about a two piece which will show off more wood and grain??

Top Bottom