Please advise: where can I find...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Itselke

Hi,
I am new to pen turning but enjoy it tremendously. I inherited quite a number of pen blanks but need to find all the other parts of a pen kit. I prefer single barrel pens but have also made some double barrel pens. Where do you suggest I buy pen kits without the blanks?
Thanks, Elke.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi,
I am new to pen turning but enjoy it tremendously. I inherited quite a number of pen blanks but need to find all the other parts of a pen kit. I prefer single barrel pens but have also made some double barrel pens. Where do you suggest I buy pen kits without the blanks?
Thanks, Elke.
Maybe you could tell us which pen kits you have already made and how well you enjoyed making those particular kits.

You could probably buy pen kits at Woodcraft in Springfield, VA. . . . within driving distance for you ??

There are a multitude of sources by online order for mail delivery.
May I suggest that you familiarize yourself with www.ExoticBlanks.com where the customer service is A-1

Last edited:

RKB

Addendum: In my post above, Wayne provides the most comprehensive list of Pen Supplier links probably ever recorded in one place on IAP. Click on the the supplier names and you will be taken to their website. It is actually an incredible effort by Wayne. Have fun.

BULLWINKLE

Exotic Blanks gets my vote.

sdindc

Hey RKB,

I am still pretty new and still skill building. I agree go check out Woodcraft and see what you like. You will save ~ 15% cost if you order the kits from their website. I have done the magenitc kits from crooked mills, rollesters and editor pen kits - these are all single barrel kits. I am partial to the rollester and editor kits. I think they both have a nice handfeel, the rollester in particular for my taste. Dawn and Ed at ExoticBlanks are awesome. They ship quick and you get a little snack and note in each shipment. Looking forward to seeing what you turn!

Best,

Steven

KMCloonan

I'm another positive vote for Exotic Blanks. They carry many of the kits sold by Penn State Industries (PSI), Berea, etc. so you can shop for all of those all in one place. They also give you mix & match quantity discounts. Check them out!

jttheclockman

I am sure many will jump on the Exotic Blank bandwagon but check around for pricing if you are looking for specific kits. The list given in that link is pretty comprehensive and all vendors are good quality vendors. yes you hear a bad review but you will get that with every vendor. need to keep an open mind and do not be afraid to pick the phone up if you do have a problem. Good luck and you always can do a search here to see examples if you lock onto a specific kit if you want to see examples. Just type the words in the Search box.

JohnU

If you like the single tube pens, check out the diamond knurl at Exotic Blanks. It's their version of the Sierra only you dont have to take it apart to change the ink. You just easily unscrew the nib and don't have to mess with the transmission or pulling anything apart. It's also a nice looking set at an affordable price.

jttheclockman

If you like the single tube pens, check out the diamond knurl at Exotic Blanks. It's their version of the Sierra only you dont have to take it apart to change the ink. You just easily unscrew the nib and don't have to mess with the transmission or pulling anything apart. It's also a nice looking set at an affordable price.
As with most pen kits there are pros and cons of using a kit. As well as this one just mentioned. As you get further into your pen turning career you will learn these things and some will be learned the hard way. If you get into selling your pens this can also add to choice selections and ease of use for the end user. Picking what kits to use can be daunting but best to stay with quality platings and kits that stand the test of time. If you have any doubts just post questions here and we can help with those pro's and con's and the do's and don'ts. Good luck as you travel down this road. Have fun and remember you have found the best pen turning forum on the net with the best members ready to help.

howsitwork

Welcome Elke

suggest you follow the advice above as , no matter where you live , members have posted their " local " sources. In USA you are spoilt for choice !

have fun and enjoy the turning

Top Bottom