Playing with the laser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gtriever

gtriever

A local BBQ restaurant opened in my home town when I was 5 years old, and 64 years later they're still serving up some of the best BBQ you ever wrapped your lips around. Here's a 3-pen set that'll go to the third-generation owner, featuring the most-used BBQ woods in our area : Hickory, Mesquite, and Apple. The kits are the Aluminum EDC DuraClick from PSI; the bodies are sanded to 800 grit, engraved with the NEJE Laser and satin-finished with WTF. (And 'Thanks' to JT for pointing me in the direction of the 3-slot pen cases.)

EDC-StarnesSet_web.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Oh and under other things we make, I made the main decals for the cab, um smoker. :biggrin:

ETA I some how edited my old post I wanted to reply to it oh well.

f7830e59225148f42345e6e52c576ed9.jpg

Last edited:

magpens

Very nice set of 3 pens ....

How do you like the EDC DuraClick pen kit ? . Any issues or problems with it ?

You used the aluminum version ... is there any exposed smooth aluminum that can scratch ?

gtriever

Mal, so far the only "issue" I see is that refill extender that they use. The finish is good on them; the clicker mechanism is stainless and screws into the knurled top. I think that the smooth nose cone is aluminum, but not having these for very long I don't know how susceptible they are to scratches. So far I'm pleased with them.

magpens

Art,

Thanks for your reply. . I am a little wary of the refill extender ... I think I would replace it by fitting a permanent extender rod/piece onto the clicker, if that is possible.

When Berea used an extender piece in their Sierra Click I found that a pain ... it often got lost when changing refills. . Customers couldn't figure out what was falling out and why the new refill did not fit. . I remember that Berea supplied two such extenders with each kit for that reason.

magpens

WTF stands for Wood Turners' Finish.

Quite a few people use it, and quite a few vendors sell it.

Finishing is one of the fine points of making pens ... something you will need to consider quite carefully as to the actual finish you choose and the various methods of applying the finish.

Some good articles in our Library here on IAP.

Top Bottom