Playin around with some resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Took advantage of the warm weather around here these past few days and made a few pens. I was wanting to try out some new casts to see how they'd look. I'm really happy with all of them so I figured I'd show'em off.

First is a Blk Ti Zen. I tried doing something like the vintage style blanks except use black instead of white. I was afraid it was going to be too dark to see the red, but I'm happy to guess wrong! The reverse painting of this one took several steps. I started with red, but saw that it didn't cover very well so I did 2 coats with it. Then did a single coat of black after that to make sure the tube was hidden. Thankfully the black didn't darken the red at all so it's nice and bright:

DSC02637543x700.jpg
DSC02641525x700.jpg
DSC02644557x700.jpg

Second up is a Blk Ti/Chrome Aero. Reverse painted black:

DSC02645576x700.jpg
DSC02651555x700.jpg
DSC02655603x700.jpg

Last is something I've been wanting to try for a while now. I still need to tweak it some but it got lots of Ohhh's and Ahhh's from my wife and mother. Since they've seen just about every pen I've ever made they got pretty used to my work. So for them to really be excited about this made me really happy. It's really hard to get a good pic of this. After seeing the pics I can see that my finish isn't that great. Might take it apart and put it to the buffer. Reverse painted black:

DSC02656518x700.jpg
DSC02660520x700.jpg
DSC02666529x700.jpg
DSC02661530x700.jpg

Thanks for looking! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

Jonathon,
Looks like your back is holding up on ya and you are back to making some amazing blanks. In a post many months ago, I was trying to talk you into doing a tutorial for casting blanks. I told you that I'd bug you again when your back was a little better. CONSIDER THIS; ME BUGGING YOU. It would be cool!! Just sayin!! Hope you and the family are doing well man.

Dave

hewunch

I got to imagine it would be tough to get a great finish on that last one, but it is super cool. Can't wait to see it in person. I love the other two as well!

PTownSubbie

Show off!! :tongue:

You know I am one of your biggest fans but please....I need to get a new keyboard due to all the drool!!

Nice is all that need be said.....

BSea

I like the last one the best, followed by the red & black. Does that blank have any red in it, or is that from the reverse painting? Either way, it's a keeper.

Brooks803

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Guess the red/black is a hit. Looks like I'll be adding that to my lineup soon :biggrin:

Jonathon,
Looks like your back is holding up on ya and you are back to making some amazing blanks. In a post many months ago, I was trying to talk you into doing a tutorial for casting blanks. I told you that I'd bug you again when your back was a little better. CONSIDER THIS; ME BUGGING YOU. It would be cool!! Just sayin!! Hope you and the family are doing well man.

Dave

lol...bug all you want Dave. If you wanna go to VA in May I'll be doing a live PR demo at the MAPG :wink:.

I got to imagine it would be tough to get a great finish on that last one, but it is super cool. Can't wait to see it in person. I love the other two as well!

Thanks Hans. The last one has a CA finish on it, but I rushed and didn't finish it out too well. You'll definitely see it at the next meeting if you are able to make it.

I like the last one the best, followed by the red & black. Does that blank have any red in it, or is that from the reverse painting? Either way, it's a keeper.

Thanks Bob. It does have red already in it. The paint just helped it stay that same shade.

Top Bottom