Plastic for home made bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Loesshill

I would like to use a ca finish on rings, have an Artisan ring mandrel which is supplied with AL bushings, they don't offer plastic bushings.
which plastic should I use UHMW, Deldrin or ? Also tips for turning and tools to use

Thanks,
Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I 3D print bushing for sanding and buffing. I have them for many popular kits.

Attachments

• 40A82790-C1FE-4D7F-BBFB-25782E71484F.jpeg
    40A82790-C1FE-4D7F-BBFB-25782E71484F.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 75

dogcatcher

I save #2 HDPE Plastic, milk cartons etc. and melt them into blocks to make plastic bushings. Look on YouTube for instructions.

For a ring mandrel idea go to Carter Tools, a Taig lathe dealer. His ring mandrel is aluminum but a wood version also works.

randyrls

Put paste wax on the bushings / mandrel. Keep a small sealed can of acetone and just dunk it into the acetone for a few hours. Works for Delrin too! Try not to get the acetone on your skin. Use forceps and a towel to let the thing dry before using.

Loesshill

Put paste wax on the bushings / mandrel. Keep a small sealed can of acetone and just dunk it into the acetone for a few hours. Works for Delrin too! Try not to get the acetone on your skin. Use forceps and a towel to let the thing dry before using.
I'm guessing that the acetone is for when I glue the entire assembly together? will acetone have negative effects on alumilite?

Loesshill

I save #2 HDPE Plastic, milk cartons etc. and melt them into blocks to make plastic bushings. Look on YouTube for instructions.

For a ring mandrel idea go to Carter Tools, a Taig lathe dealer. His ring mandrel is aluminum but a wood version also

UHMW or Delrin would be good choices. UHMW may be cheaper and available in more sizes. McMaster-Carr is one source that carries both in rod fo

For a ring mandrel idea go to Carter Tools, a Taig lathe dealer. His ring mandrel is aluminum but a wood version also works.
I ordered UHMW and Actal ( Deldrin) in 1" rounds 24" long, from Online Metals they have many shapes and sizes of plastics. The deldrin was $22 the UHMW was $9 plus shipping. will see how milling goes.

monophoto

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrothersMake - a couple of guys in the UK who have a series of YouTube videos on recycling HDPE

Cheap cutting boards at dollar stores are another source of HDPE.

Top Bottom