Plaques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is this idea going to be able to happen? I like the idea, wish I hade the resources to be able to do them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anything can happen, Landen.

If no members are willing to handle it, we can always look for a commercial "award" house.

I looked a couple days ago and found a couple places that have 8 x 11 wood plaques, with a spot for your logo. I thought PERHAPS, Jeff might get a couple ceramic logos made, by the folks who are making the coffee cups (Wisconsinites are pretty cooperative).

Then, all we need is the routed out recess in a nice chunk of wood. The "award" part could be on a brass plate, which I am confident I can locate and probably have lasered for free or cheap.

So, consider it "do-able".

Last year's last minute cost us about $100, for 5. But they were nice. Dawn and I paid for them (Cav offered, but he was pretty "burned out" by that time) --no one was the wiser.

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Well, I'm sure we can pass a collection plate if needed. I assume we don't don't want a "last years repeat" as far as the timing goes. Sounds like there was a SNAFU in there somewhere.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, I'm sure we can pass a collection plate if needed. I assume we don't don't want a "last years repeat" as far as the timing goes. Sounds like there was a SNAFU in there somewhere.

Not meaning to complain, just let you know the "price point". Most of the contests have a $100 first place. This $100 covered all FIVE prizes---math works for me!!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
That would be a good plan, If (when) we get them, I would like one for the Freestyle Winner as well as whatever else gets them.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've pretty much wrapped up vendors (except CSUSA and a few others), so I'm moving on to individuals next...I'll make a posting in the next day or two...

I'll ask about plaques if you like - how many would we like, and how much customization and design work is required by the engraver (that is, do we have a plan and design already ready to go?)

Andrew

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That would be a good plan, If (when) we get them, I would like one for the Freestyle Winner as well as whatever else gets them.

Would you want that to be the ONLY prize for the winner? If so, what should we do with the other "placings" 2nd, etc--prizes, smaller plaques?

Each one would be customized with the winner's name (my preconception--subject to change) or not??

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
No I don't think it will be the only prize but as I said before, after the prize money is gone, the Plaque will go on forever as a reminder of the winners accomplishment.

If it were feasible (affordable) smaller mini-plaques for all "major" contest place winners would be cool but That is easy to say if I am not footing the bill for it. :wink:

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew said:
I'll ask about plaques if you like - how many would we like, and how much customization and design work is required by the engraver (that is, do we have a plan and design already ready to go?)

Let's start fresh on it. It was a rush job, turned out nice, but I have no idea where the "art" is, or if we created it (probable) or Charlie has it. Let's just decide what contests (IF ANY) want this and see how Jeff feels about the logo being part of the plaque, then move on with numbers.

If all the "contest chairpersons" are reading this, who would LIKE plaques for their contests? And do you see a larger (letter size) as the first prize and smaller for second, etc?

And would this replace normal prizes (making more available to the "non-raffle") or would it be in addition to normal prizes (making the first place prizes a little lower dollar amounts).

Speak up, folks!!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
My OPINION:

Plaques for all "BIG" contests at least for the winner
2nd, 3rd, whatever "mini-plaques" for "work involved" contests
I think prizes to accompany most plaques(might be able to put less $$ worth to each

An example of a contest that would not receive a plaque would be my Crossword contest,or Daily Trivia (not much required to play) small prizes would be more than enough. These are fun to play because they are not labor intensive, but for that reason no one should feel disappointed with a less than "top notch" prize award.

Ones that I feel justify prizes and/or plaques might be: Featured pen contest, other "build it" contests, photo contest, etc.

I seem to be VERY opinionated, feel free to filter me as needed.:biggrin::wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
How about a piece of plywood with:

"GOOD ON YOU - YOU ONE, I MEAN WON"

written in black marker for the ugly pen contest?:biggrin:

ahhhhhhhh, I'll give this some more thought.:wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How about a piece of plywood with:

"GOOD ON YOU - YOU ONE, I MEAN WON"

written in black marker for the ugly pen contest?:biggrin:

ahhhhhhhh, I'll give this some more thought.:wink:

I believe you're getting in the "spirit" of this thing.
(Make mine a Rusty Nail!!! It's a woodworking group, after all!!)

Phunky_2003

I'd agree with the trivia not needing a plaque. There is really nothing earned there.

I also really like the idea of something off the wall for the ugly pen contest.

On the plaques themselves has anyone contacted charlie about doing them? Since he did them last year maybe he would be willing to do again this year? As far as artwork goes, I am totally lost at what an ingraver would need.... does anybody else know? I did a quick pic on an idea but wouldnt have a clue what exactly an engraver would need.

My idea on the plaque (artwork) would look something like this. I am assuming Jeff would allow the logo to be used....

1294633014.jpg

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
There are always lazer engravers offering to sell their services on the IAP...perhaps we should just ask in the forum if anyone would like to donate their services to the Bash?

Andrew
What about Ken @ Kallenshaan Woods, he does a lot of business through here, would he help out?

PR_Princess

Hi Guys, and thanks to Mike for letting me in! :tongue:

If it is helpful, I can try to locate a pic of the plaques from last year, or maybe Butch can post a pic of his. It may give everyone reference at least.

Charlie should have the art in his computer, but the art is the easy bit. From what I understand you have to laser onto a specially prepared metal or it just won't take right. Not a hard for the engravers to find, but there is a cost and lead time....

Constant is already donating quite a bit for the bash. Ken, Stan Cook, Silvanite, or Charlie might be better options to do these.....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One of us should send a PM to the laser guys Dawn mentioned. I will volunteer to do so, but first I want to make certain Andrew does not feel it is his area.

Feedback please, Mr. Smart!!!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Addendum - Constant has given an amazing prize to the Bash, and I don't think we should ask him for anything further, so if there's another person we can ask, I think that would be better.
That would be why I suggested Ken at Kallenshaan, I did not see his name on the donor list. Not a requirement by any means to donate but I think he does get a fair amount of referred business from IAP members. Again, I don't think that he should HAVE to help but certainly worth asking him I think.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I haven't contacted Ken, as he indicated in the past during my queries that he donates enough to the IAP through his donations to the Group program (i.e. free inlay kits to groups)...

I tend to agree with him, and hate to ask him to donate anything else to the bash...I usually ask that Jeff include him on the front page due to his donations to the Group meetings program.

PR_Princess

Here is a pic of one of the plaques from last year for reference. Charlie did an amazing job, if you ask me. But this years' does not have to be the same.

Actually, with more time now, maybe more can be done...Perhaps make it pen/quill shaped? (Just throwing out ideas here)

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I haven't contacted Ken, as he indicated in the past during my queries that he donates enough to the IAP through his donations to the Group program (i.e. free inlay kits to groups)...

I tend to agree with him, and hate to ask him to donate anything else to the bash...I usually ask that Jeff include him on the front page due to his donations to the Group meetings program.

Here is a pic of one of the plaques from last year for reference. Charlie did an amazing job, if you ask me. But this years' does not have to be the same.

Actually, with more time now, maybe more can be done...Perhaps make it pen/quill shaped? (Just throwing out ideas here)

I think those look great(first time I'd seen one) If he doesn't mind doing them again, I see no problems with those. I said before, I'll bet if we pass the plate amoungst us we can get plenty to cover the $$ and not put out any one person too much.

I understand the feelings of Ken, he was just a thought since I had not seen him on the list yet this year.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Didn't know he was still doing that.

And I'd give to a plaque fund also.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ssajn (Dave) has been coordinator of the Milwuakee contingent of IAP. Every meeting he has about a dozen kits from Ken. So, yes the program is still active.

PR_Princess

LOL Plaque fund???? Sounds like some sort of bad dental plan!...:eek:

I think everyone here does more than enough already, no need to take money out of pocket too! What if we could come up with a way to have the plaques pay their own way??

Open to ideas here, but one thought might be to have a very limited number of engraved "something" that could be used as a fund raiser. Funds to go just to the plaque project. Maybe... Whiskey glasses, coasters, other??

Of course this would have to be run past Jeff!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Open to ideas here, but one thought might be to have a very limited number of engraved "something" that could be used as a fund raiser. Funds to go just to the plaque project. Maybe... Whiskey glasses, coasters, other??

Of course this would have to be run past Jeff!!
MY only conern there is we are going to get short on time to get things done I think.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Shoot, man!!!!

We have done this type project in a week, more often than we like to talk about. But, yes, sooner the better!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Last year, about $20 a piece, including getting them mailed. But I think Charlie "kicked in" some. This year, let's decide how many we need then see what they will cost, based on actual use. (I suspect 10 brass plates cost less per unit than 5, etc).

Hope that helps, Jeff!!

Top Bottom