Plain Jane peppermill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dubdrvrkev

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

The blank was a little small to do much so this is just a "clean line" mill. I have a salt shaker in the works with white corian inlay. We'll see if I can make two things that look similar.

20061219282_1st%20peppermill%20001.jpg
200612192816_1st%20peppermill%20004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Can you elaborate on the Corian insert? It looks very clean. Was it just with a forstner bit?? What method did you use to size the Corian? I really like the way it looks up there.

dubdrvrkev

Thanks!

I took a corian square and put some double back tape on it and taped it directly to the end of the spindle. Then I brought up the tail stock for support and rounded the Corian to 1.5". You need to keep the sides as flat and square as possible to minimize the the glue line. I used a 1.25 forstner and enlarged the hole till the corian had a nice slip fit. I set it in about half the thickness so I could shape the top of it. You'll need to keep that in mind when you make the original recess. Then just epoxy it in and after its dry shape and sand it. Clear as mud?

Firefyter-emt

Ahhh, I see! Not a bad idea, I was curious what you held it with! [:D]

The rest is perfectly clear too. Hmmm, a nice chunk of brass or aluminium and my metal lathe might make a nice little face plate to go into my scroll chuck to do this too. [;)]

Skye

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
....I took a corian square and put some double back tape on it and taped it directly to the end of the spindle......

So friggin obvious but it didnt even occur to me to do that! Good thinkin!

I like the way the twist is between the two beads, very cool. I'm guessing maple? I've made a few stoppers from it and no matter how much figuring I do, it still looks plain to me.

rapost

Plain can also be elegant and this is! It looks very nice!!

I'm working on my first pair....I guess they're a pair, even though they don't match exactly...and as I told my wife, my second to last pair. Her sister gets these and then we get the last pair... They were a pain to make - the drilling got to me and the need for non-standard, hard to find drill bits - 1 1/16" ???? It a pepper reservoir for crying out loud 1" or 1 1/8" should work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom