Piston Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Pen State has a new piston pen kit. What's the consensus, from just the picture? I snagged it off their website. For me, I think it looks a little clunky, but unique for sure. Will you make one?

Attachments

• C25A78E2-231A-411F-966C-3FFF3E26E729.jpeg
    C25A78E2-231A-411F-966C-3FFF3E26E729.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

🤔
I don't think I'll rush out to get a kit, but it's interesting. I like the idea, but it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to me. I'll reserve judgement until someone posts some better pictures than PSI does on their site.

Kenny Durrant

I enjoy looking at the Gimmicky pens and I've bought a few for special friends. As for me I don't care for most of them. I like the bullet pens because there's a lot of folks that like to hunt and shoot. Most of what I turn are the traditional style and that's what I carry. Out of curiosity does the piston have any working purpose? Like the click mechanism. Thanks for sharing.

egnald

Although I have turned a few of the "themed" pens, like many of you, I default to a more traditional style. There are a few however that I like, such as the Bolt Actions, Princess and Diana, and some of the Southwest themed pens. I do like some that are a little more on the traditional side that may have some specialized component such as the "Thank You" pens and some from The Classic Nib that have a Christian cross center band. - Dave

KenB259

I enjoy looking at the Gimmicky pens and I've bought a few for special friends. As for me I don't care for most of them. I like the bullet pens because there's a lot of folks that like to hunt and shoot. Most of what I turn are the traditional style and that's what I carry. Out of curiosity does the piston have any working purpose? Like the click mechanism. Thanks for sharing.
It looks to me like you pull the little lever to extend and retract it.

calabrese55

Clunky, gimmicky not well thought out. You would first need to rotate the pen so you could align your thumb to push up the lever to actuate the process you get with a click pen. Possibly a better "piston pen" idea would have been a traditional click style pen with a true looking piston at the top that you pushed down with your thumb (just like a normal click pen) .
not for me..........
calabrese55

sorcerertd

I would be very much in favor of a steampunk style clicker that had actual working gears, or even a hydraulic mechanism. The PSI steam"pump" clicker just doesn't do it for me.

jttheclockman

I too am not what you call a gimmicky pen maker but as others I have gone down that rabbit hole for friends and requests. The Fireman pen is an example of actually a well thought out idea with a huge audience. Made a few gear pens over the years for a car mechanic friend and actually have 2 what can be called gimmicky pens on the table but nothing to flashy. The blanks you can make for these really goes well and sets the kit off well. To me if you are going to use those type kits then try to make a blank that enhances it and stay away from basic wood and acrylic to throw on the kit. Open your minds and try casting. Casting your own blanks to me is a field that really enhances what we do. Along with segmenting. I get tired of looking at pens that are just plain wood or store bought acrylics. Now some nice burl wood or some exotic acrylic does enhance a kit. Just my thoughts. By the way there is no chance I will ever touch this kit. Looks like a headache down the road.

derekdd

Not a fan at first glance, but I would like to see it in person before making final judgement.

I'm okay with some variety as you never know what people will like. I make the bolt action pens because of their popularity, and bought the Footprints in the Sand starter kit for those who like faith themed items. Keeping track of all those different bushings becomes a bit of a challenge over time.

Have a show on Saturday so we'll see what sells. I'm brining 75 pens, cutting boards, resin and wood serving boards, and coasters.

craig

Alot of the "gimmick" pens seem to go away quickly. Woodcraft revolver, submarine and p40 come to mind. Penn State also. Sales dictate. I don't know how many bushings I have with no pens. Now if I have a request I'll make it.......and one for me 😇

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
there already sold out, and no instuctions
More likely they haven't received their first production run as yet. It's not unusual for instructions to lag behind a new product announcement. Instructions haven't yet been posted for their new Scraper tool either.

KenB259

The
More likely they haven't received their first production run as yet. It's not unusual for instructions to lag behind a new product announcement. Instructions haven't yet been posted for their new Scraper tool either.
I might buy some of the new scraper tool they just introduced. Lots of people play the lottery scratch off games. I feel they are a little pricey for what you get, seems to be the norm nowadays though.

egnald

The

I might buy some of the new scraper tool they just introduced. Lots of people play the lottery scratch off games. I feel they are a little pricey for what you get, seems to be the norm nowadays though.
I was looking at their new Classic Hobby Knife kits, but the price seems a little steep. I can get a nice Diamond Knurl or Caballero kit for less. - Dave

Legato_J

Well, I bought the kit (4 pens) as I have siblings in the automotive repair / parts business. Haven't gotten around to making them yet and not sure of what type of blanks I'll use. By the way, the kit came with instructions. See URL: Piston Pen Product Instructions

Top Bottom