Pipes Etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jebrooks76

jebrooks76

Pipes and Such. Just branching out. Trying to work on photography.

Attachments

• One Hitters.jpg
    One Hitters.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Pipes.jpg
    Pipes.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Nice work! What does one do with these? If for smoking, what type of tobacco do they accept? Thank you!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I've received a few reports about this post. Rather than just delete it, and with apologies for hijacking the original post, I'll ask: Is this post appropriate for penturners.org? For reference, the TOS says:

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.

Does this "encourage unlawful activity"? Not directly.
Does posting the photos "violate any laws"? I don't think it does that either.

Is there a reason this is or is not appropriate for our site?

Please comment if you like.

Curly

Kind of depends where you live. It is legal in Canada and there are licensed shops in almost every city or town selling it and the products.
Personally I could care less and don't have anything to do with it so as soon as I see what the thread is about if it isn't clear by the title I close and move to the next thread.

One could take the same position about knives or guns that have been shown on the site in the past in the same way. I'm not a fan of tobacco either but those pipes have been slowed.

If it was a make or break issue for me I have the choice to move on.

Ultimately it is your site so whatever you decide is best that is it.

bsshog40

I don't see an issue with them. I think it would be different if these were being offered as paraphernalia items. To me they are just old style pipes that people use to make back in the 70's with nicely turned handles. Some were used for tobacco and some weren't.

dogcatcher

I see no reason not to post them, the pipes are "other things" that a lot of woodturners make. Although most I see do include metal, strictly wood, just like tobacco pipes. Most fantasy pipes, church warden pipes, or the Lord of the Rings style pipes are popular amongst all ypes of smokers.

Joebobber

It is listed in the correct forum- other things we make. I have seen many other things that weren't pens that were posted. I think it's perfectly fine, but of course who am I anyways. šŸ˜† šŸ¤£

jebrooks76

They are general smoking pipes. Used for anything smokable were legally applicable my friend.
Didnt read the rest of the comments. I apologize if this is a touchy subject for some. I have spent almost $3,000 dollars in turning supplies to make these. They are solely for the purpose of recreational use. Some state laws are broader than others and allow different uses as applied to specific state laws. I did not intend to create anything further. Honestly i am envious of those that can turn lots of other objects more than pens. I am only about a year into turning and can only get a good slimline with a nice finish as of now. But these are helping develop my talents as well as techniques to be applied to my pen fetish. Which this is all about. I felt it was posted in the appropriate place and following all guidelines as informed and enforced by this great site. I am truly sorry it has offended some.

LK&T

I have no issue with the contents of the original post. However, folks who reported the post were certainly right to do so based on forum rules stating that "likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content" are reasons to report or object to a post. The wording "likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content" covers just about anything you can think of, so Jeff really has to be the moderating authority on this kind of thing based on what he thinks is best for the site. As to legality, whether the post encourages unlawful activity would be almost impossible to prove and isn't much of an argument for deleting the post.

Top Bottom