Pink ivory cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Holzchief

Holzchief

I try to learn something with every pen. I've been using CA for finishing but just wasn't happy with the results.
This time around I did my usual, sanded to 1200, 24 coats of CA sanded 1200 after after the third, 9th, 18th and 21st coats. After the 24th, instead of using a polish, I wet sanded at 1200, then used the last 4 Micro-Mesh pads wet.
20200916_091818.jpg
20200916_091733.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Holzchief

Interesting process. just wondering how long between coats did you wait before sanding??
I'm using accelerator with medium CA. After spraying I start the lathe for a couple of minutes, then burnish with folded paper towels. Probably 5 or 6 minutes from applying to sanding.
Not sure how it compares with others, this was my first time to try polishing CA.
Experiments will continue, constructive criticism welcome.

magpens

Beautiful looking finish !!! . Very well done !!!!

I think you could cut back on the process. . You're using Medium CA. . 24 coats seems really excessive to me.
I use Thin CA and rarely go over 10 - 12 coats with accelerator after every coat. . I wait only about 2 - 3 minutes between coats.
I sand lightly after every second coat, just trying to level the larger bumps and ridges. .
The final sanding is done more carefully and completely. . After that the polishing.
I get results that seem to be similar to yours.

Holzchief

Beautiful looking finish !!! . Very well done !!!!

I think you could cut back on the process. . You're using Medium CA. . 24 coats seems really excessive to me.
I use Thin CA and rarely go over 10 - 12 coats with accelerator after every coat. . I wait only about 2 - 3 minutes between coats.
I sand lightly after every second coat, just trying to level the larger bumps and ridges. .
The final sanding is done more carefully and completely. . After that the polishing.
I get results that seem to be similar to yours.
That's kind of what I was wondering. I think I just ended up with that many coats trying to get a smoother finish. Don't know why I hasn't tried polishing the CA before. Going to try the thin again too. I kept having trouble but maybe now I'm hetting more comfortable it's time to try it again. Always something to learn.

Top Bottom