pine cone stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laurie sullivan

we have big pine cones and I was given a few. not quite knowing what to do with them all I could think of was this. please let me know what you think. these are Coulter Pine cones native to CA.

Laurie

DSC_00041398x600.jpg

thanks everyone, this is a turning not a cast. it's all wood (cone).

these are Coulter pine cones. they are native to So. California. they are one of largest seed cones in the world, 14in long and up to 5 lb's. the tines are as, if not larger than my thumb.

Laurie

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Mother nature and you at your finest. Never would have thought I would get to see something as nice judging by the title of the post.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Are those the pines also referred to as Diggers? I've got a pair of 10"x6" pine cones that I picked up when vacationing in CA back in December that I was told were Diggers.

VisExp

That's one of the nicest bottle stoppers I've seen. Great conversation piece. I really like the way you have used a pine cone as your prop in the picture.

all I can tell you is that you have to move to So. Cal. to find them. They are native California.
I will do a picture tutorial of my process soon. this will help you see how it's done.

Laurie

Thank for all you wonderful comments

mwwoodworks

So does that mean you are not going on a scavenge hunt for the pine cones to send to everyone? Bummer! :D That is a really cool stopper! How did you finish it? I would be afraid of it eventually falling apart!? I turned a dakota burl pen (the sunflower seed stuff) and the customer called me about a month later. It was crumbling to pieces. I was devistated! You SURE you wont go get everybody some pine cones? he he

Mark in VA.

PaulDoug

Laurie, anxiously awaiting your tutorial. Is there a reason only that pine cone will work or could othere cones work. My wif has several baskets on cones she has collected. Now I see potential for them all, besides collecting dust!;)

PaulDoug

Originally posted by PaulDoug

Laurie, anxiously awaiting your tutorial. Is there a reason only that pine cone will work or could other cones work. My wife has several baskets of cones she has collected. Now I see potential for them all, besides collecting dust!;)

broitblat

Very nice! I've seen (and done) pine cone pens, but never worked with one large enough for a stopper. They don't grow that big around here :-(

-Barry

hey everyone, thanks for all your comments. I was surprised you have keep this alive. I posted a small tutorial a while back, well I thought I did. I'll find it and let you know where. the pine cone I used was fully open. I do have the excess still sitting on the work bench I post a picture later.

thanks again, Laurie

JohnU

Very Nice. I tried to get some of these home from my honeymoon a few years ago while in South Lake Tahoe but had to leave them behind when the wife found some bugs in them. "kicking myself now!"

Top Bottom