Pimping-up the Olmsted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fred Bruche

Fred Bruche

A couple of weeks back Mark (@mark james) pointed my attention to the Olmsted from Berea (Olmsted chrome) as a possibly interesting kit amenable to add some bling. Here are the results of my first attempt, decently happy with the results but a couple of overlooked details bother me and they'll get fixed on the next one :) Blank is Bubinga, bling pieces are scraps of imitation ivory resin. Thank you, Mark, it was definitely an interesting challenge!
C&C welcome.

olmsted1.jpg olmsted2.jpg olmsted3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Lovely work Fred. The modifications work very nicely, although I just might have a preference for the Blingless Roman Harvest (not here yet). However, the ease of availability is an important variable to consider this kit.

But, your combination of materials is stunning. The waterfall bubinga is beautiful and the imitation ivory/casein is very attractive.

Very, very nice! Stay healthy 😷

Bean_Counter

Very interesting and nice turn. The materials work well with each other and very pleasing to my eye. Am I correct thinking this kind of looks like a cigar? Also could you point out the things you overlooked?

magpens

I like it !! . Basically very simple modifications from the original, and, at the same time, very attractive and "different" result !

I am not that familiar with the Omstead ... never made one, but am now considering, just to see why this kit, in particular, was "recommended".
Seems to me that it is somewhat different from its larger "sibling", the cigar kit, in having the tapered centerband.

Last edited:

Fred Bruche

@magpens I still have the only cigar pens I ever made, so here they are side by side. I didn't like the cigar kit much, I think it's too big for such a small refill. You are correct, the Olmsted is a thinned version of the cigar. The finial is the piece that is coupled to the twist mechanism in the finished pen. So to make it simpler I kept the portion of the final that is inside the pen and turned away most of the exterior portion, leaving a small sliver of metal at the final/pen junction because the clip is somewhat nested in the final, and some metal to glue on my own finial.

@Bean_Counter Things that need correction are circled. The main issue is the junction #1, I should have done a better job re-squaring the wood next to the tenon after finishing. #2 the center band is a tiny bit out of round for some reason. And minor #3 that "noseband" needs to be a tad thicker to better match the metal parts.

Thanks y'all!

Olmsted4.jpg

magpens

@Fred Bruche

Thank you for these details, Fred. . I don't mind size of cigar, and I am now just a little intrigued by Olmsted so will prob. buy a couple kits and try some mods like you. . There would seem to be a few possibilities ... eg. metal, "plastic" ... maybe even some nice hardwood rings.
I don't much like the Olmsted clip so will think about a change there also

The nib ring and the center ring seem to be easy, but the finial more difficult as, it seems, you have to machine this part down in order to accept a mod which matches the other two rings ... and in the process you got rid of the top end metal cabochon (or whatever you call it). . If you have any hints on modding the top end, please share. . I use a metal lathe, so dealing with that part should be no prob.

The cigar that you show seems to be an "ornate" version and I prefer the "plainer" version.

Fred Bruche

@magpens the accent pieces and the finial in this kit are all made from some metal, possibly brass or such alloy. I figured that by holding the finial piece in a ER32 chuck (8mm collet I think), holding by the part that ends up inside the pen, and turning away "the excess" of the outside portion using a parting tool and carbide cutters (on a wood lathe). It should be possible to keep the chrome cabochon in place, just need to be precise to not touch it while taking away the rest, and I'm planning to try that in a future experiment.

I agree with you, there are a lot of possibilities to get one's imagination go wild. Thanks again @mark james for pointing out this kit!

Top Bottom