Pilot Precise V5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I've never seen a kit that uses these cartridges. They seem to be quite popular and I'd bet that the folks that prefer using them would appreciate a nicer barrel than the boring plastic ones. Has anyone attempted to craft a pen body around them?

edit: I have seen that they are the same size as a G2, but also that they don't fit a G2 pen, so am not sure what to make of that. This info was from the internet, after all.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Jonathon Brooks made a kitless one for Marla (The V5 being her favourite too) last year using a Schmidt click mechanism. He had to use a cut down spring to make it work but that might have been because of the nib he used. Not sure what other things he had to do to get it to work. I've been collecting her dead V5s to cannibalize the springs and dissect the nib end for dimensions. Some of the Schmidt click kits like the Luxor might be simplest to modify for the refill.

sorcerertd

OK, so I picked up some pilot Precise V5 refills at Office Depot and they are indeed a drop in replacement for the standard rollerball, although they look a little odd to me with the needle like tip protruding from a larger nib. I see there are a few others there that will also work, Uni-Ball, Faber Castell, and an Office Depot brand, TUL. For my part, I'm not going to sell them with a cartridge that the tip extension doesn't match up well with the nib, but potential buyers do have a lot of refill options to match their ink preference.

I should have just googled it before I asked, but now that I have, I did find this page. The epic refill reference guide
Maybe that will help someone here that has similar questions? Although it's nice to know what will "fit", it's also nice to know how it will fit and look, which that article really doesn't cover. Maybe I'll get some pics later today just as an FYI.

sorcerertd

OK, I am a little slow, but here are the results in pictures. The G2 is the same length, but seem to have a less sharply angled cone at the tip. The slight cone, more like a chamfer, on the V7 sits in about the right spot, but that needle tip... not terrible, but definitely not pretty in my opinion. The Office Depot brand will work, but I don't like the extra length on it. Nobody is going to buy a hand made pen only for functionality.

Screenshot_20210103-074103_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20210101_140723.jpg
    20210101_140723.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210101_140940.jpg
    20210101_140940.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210101_141024.jpg
    20210101_141024.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 170
Top Bottom