Pictures of wet versus dry sanding?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

By any chance does anyone have pictures of something that was wet versus dry sanded? [?][?] (Preferrrably the same type of wood/plastic so that a direct comparison is possible?) I keep reading everyone suggesting that wet sanding is better and makes the finished product look better. I've tried it twice, and even though I wasn't doing a direct comparison to the same exact material, I just didn't see anything that looked like there was a noticeable difference. If nobody has any pictures, then I may just have to do an experiment myself, but I figured if anybody's already done it, then maybe it'd convince me and I'd just start wet sanding everything!

My advice would be to do it yourself.

Take some wood and turn it into a dowel. On one side dry sand and on the other wet sand.

But the bottom line is, wet sanding is not for every type of wood or for every type of wood turner.

Wet sanding works well for filling in cracks with "dust".

rtparso

I can't help it. Wet sanding can be done with many fluids (water, oil, MS, Turp, naptha). It all depends on what you are sanding and what you like. I use water w/ a few drops of liquid soap mostly. I have used light oil (WD) and MS. For wood I only wet sand after the wood is sealed (CA, thinned poly) and then sand with water. I use oil when sanding metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom