Pictures in Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hmblaisdell

I know nothing about casting my own pen blank but I would like to. I want to create pen blanks with pictures of my family in them but I need detailed information on this subject. Does anyone know where I can get detailed informationon? I do not want a video I want to print detailed information. Thanks for any help you can provide. Harold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

In the IAP Library (resources tab) is an article by Cody Walker titled Label Casting. It explains how to cast pictures.

hmblaisdell

The Label Casting item explains how to size and get the picture ready for the pen blank. I need to know a lot more than that. What product is recommended for the casting, I live in an apartment complex and we have a Woodshop, does this product stink, what tools do I need, etc. Harold

Cwalker935

The Label Casting item explains how to size and get the picture ready for the pen blank. I need to know a lot more than that. What product is recommended for the casting, I live in an apartment complex and we have a Woodshop, does this product stink, what tools do I need, etc. Harold

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
ptownsubbie.com has what you need for casting labels. Onlinelabels.com has what you need for printing your labels. If you already turn pens, you have the tools you need, except for
an art knife to trim your labels. Online labels will print your photo labels for you, if you prefer. I am not aware of any printable instructions for this project. That would be a tutorial
I have no ambition to attempt. Good luck!

Cwalker935

PR does stink. Liquid diamonds can be used and does not give off much odor. You can but tube-in molds that are compatible. Liquid diamonds is more costly than PR but does not require a pressure pot like alumilite.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I realize that you said that you don't want a video, but I have to tell ya that if you went to YouTube and searched for "Casting Label Pen Blanks" within a couple of hours all of your questions would be answered. Spend some time on Zac Higgin's channel and you will learn all there is to know about the different resins. I believe Tina Wisson (Mrs. Ptownsubbie) has a video on making label blanks. If videos are truly not your thing I apologize for the suggestion but you are missing out on some great techniques.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I'm an apartment dweller as well. I purchased my molds from PTownSubbie. I use Liquid Diamonds (ratio 1.7:1). There isn't any smell to it at all and no pressure pot is needed. Watch Tina Wisson's (Mrs. Ptownsubbie) video on their website. She does a quick turorial about sizing a picture. They also sell templates you can use to cut out labels for specific pens. I hope this helps.

Top Bottom