pics of my coffee blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

i just made my first coffee blanks and used my pressure pot for the first time as well...

did they turn out right? pen to follow after this weekend

Attachments

• coffee blank.jpg
    coffee blank.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMadore

I saw a turorial somewhere (probably here) that suggests covering them with a screen and weighting them down in the mold in order to ensure even distribution.

Cheers!

Gary

rwyoung

Yea, they do look like they floated up a bit but on the other hand, the center of the blank looks good and that is the important part anyway! :)

Good luck with the turning. I cast some and they came out pretty good. Gave away some blanks to try. Also cast a much larger chunk for somebody to try making some duck calls. I don't know if he has done the work yet, I need to check in with him. I'll ask for pictures when he is done.

sbell111

I saw a turorial somewhere (probably here) that suggests covering them with a screen and weighting them down in the mold in order to ensure even distribution.
I place a piece of UHMW (or plastic cutting board) on top of mine and weigh it down with whatever's handy (usually a pair of vice grips). It's easy and works a treat.

hughbie

actually i did do the screen and weight.....i put a screen over the mold, placed a piece of plywood on it and weighted it with a chunk of concrete........and i made sure the mold was full before starting.....
i'll make a pen or at least try this weekend and see what happens.....

thanks for ya'lls inputs.........and i will keep ya posted

Fred

Simply use a tube sealed on one end and standing straight up and down. Fill the tube with a few beans, pour in the casting material of choice, repeat until the tube is full. Put a plug on the top if necessary and let the material cure.

A vacuum treatment will ensure that the material is all around the beans and that all air is pulled out. Work fast, as some casting materials 'set' faster than others.

sbell111

Simply use a tube sealed on one end and standing straight up and down. Fill the tube with a few beans, pour in the casting material of choice, repeat until the tube is full. Put a plug on the top if necessary and let the material cure.

A vacuum treatment will ensure that the material is all around the beans and that all air is pulled out. Work fast, as some casting materials 'set' faster than others.
I once tried to cast coffee beans using this method. I ended up destroying the blank and the mold trying to get the blank out. From then on, I became a 'brick' caster.

Top Bottom