pickel jar vacuum pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikem88

I have a 2 gal pickle jar that I would like to use as a vacuum chamber.
Does anyone have any experience or advice about this

Thanks Mike:rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Mike - My advice would be to not use it. A 2 gallon glass pickle jar imploding would send glass shards flying at high speed. I had a large polycarbonate vacuum food storage container implode. And the food storage vacuum pumps only pull a tiny fraction of what you would be using for stablizing / casting. The implosion was truly impressive. It sounded like a bomb went off in the pantry. Fortunately the door was closed, but some of the plastic was embedded in the interior of the door. Not very far, but in skin it might be a different story. A much higher vacuum with glass, it might be like a grenade went off.

Just my opinion.

Ed

mikem88

Pickel jar

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure. I will wait until I can get some 3/4" acrylic.
I appreciate your advice.

Mike

aplpickr

Zero pressure gauge is actually 14.7 psi absolute at sea level. As you pull a vacuum on a container that pressure is pushing on every square inch of surface area. A rectangular, one gallon container near 30" of vacuum has about 5000 pounds trying to crush it.

sschering

My vac chamber is nothing more than a piece of 10" schedule 80 PVC pipe standing on a 3/4" PVC plate and a 1/2" acrylic lid. the top and base are sealed with gaskets cut from craft foam.

Nothing is glued together.. I set jars or tubs with blanks and juice inside.

Speaking of that I still owe TLTHW some juiced blanks for helping me get that rig put together.

Zero pressure gauge is actually 14.7 psi absolute at sea level. As you pull a vacuum on a container that pressure is pushing on every square inch of surface area. A rectangular, one gallon container near 30" of vacuum has about 5000 pounds trying to crush it.

Yeah my 10" has about 1100 lbs on the lid. The 1/2 acrylic will dip about 3/16 in the center under full vacuum.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I used large pickle jars for years before designing the ones I make now. Never had any issue with them. I really don't like having glass in my shop so I avoid it at all costs now but I never had any issue with implosion. Now, accidentally bumping one and knocking it off the bench to the hard concrete floor...been there and done that. Not under vacuum but it did have resin in it and was one heck of a mess to clean up.

Top Bottom