photoshop idea. Group project? (very long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

railrider1920

Hi Folks,
I have wondered what some of the pen kits I have would look like with a particular wood. I have read a few posts asking for a picture of a particular pen kit done up with a particular type of wood. These things got me to thinking about photoshopping some pictures. Maybe taking the wood from pens and making that section a layer, making the hardware it's own layer and having all these in one file. Each layer would be named what it is, european, baron, gold slimline, blk Ti slimline etc and the same for the wood. When a viewer wanted to see what a slimline would look like done up in oak, they could turn off all the layers except the ones for slimline and oak. If they decided that they liked the oak, but wanted to see it on a European, they could turn off the slimline layer and turn on the european layer. How does this sound?

Is it possible to take layers from one picture and past it into a new layer in another picture? If it is possible, then if there are enough people here that have photoshop, maybe we could all work on it. We could make a list of pens and make a list of woods. Whoever wanted to help could take say the first 5 pens on the list, the next person the next 5. Then when the people are finished with those pictures, the files could be sent to a particular person. Then that person could take all the files and/or layers and past them into one large file. When it was done, maybe it could be posted someplace to be downloaded for everyone to use.

For those of you that are not familiar with photoshop and what I'm talking about, think of it like this: imagine that you had a picture of the hardware for a slimline all lined up as it should be put together (no tubes), but there are blank spaces where the wood should be. Now take a picture of a turned wood and slide it under the picture. You can now see what a slimline would look like with that particular wood. That is basically what I'm talking about.

I know that many people here may not have photoshop and it is not a program that just everyone can go out and buy (around $500 or more, mine was given to me), but there is a program called "gimpshop". It is free, open source, and is supposed to be set up just like photoshop. Someone that is pretty good with PS would probably pick it up pretty quick. If this "project" was to be done and done in either gimpshop or gimp, anyone here could download the program and the file and use it. This is something that you could probably use with clients as well. When they ask what such and such kit could look like with such and such wood, you could show them.

Below is a picture I chopped up just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about when I say have the hardware separate and the wood separate. Does what I'm saying make sense? Does it sound like a good Idea? I'd be willing to help out, but as you can see, I'm not that great with PS.
Thanks for your thoughts.

choppedpensjpeg-1.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
I've actually got a good bit of this going on on my (as yet to be launched, for good reason) website with regards to my own blanks and being able to order 'custom' pens based on those pictures. I modeled the idea from an auto rim site that I saw a few years ago that would allow you to choose your make and model, and then 'build' it with different styles/colors/sizes of rims.

It's a stellar idea, but one that takes some serious time and effort to do it right.

There are some major considerations to take into account with the size accuracy and consistent photography aspect. It's a pretty big project to undertake in order to do it well. That's one of the things that has been taking up my time over the last year.

The idea is not exclusive to any one type of project, but it'll be worth the effort because a customer will be able to get a good idea of what products you offer (pens, bottle stoppers, peppermills, whatever) that they can order 'on demand'.

That's about all I'm going to say on the subject, because I have a TON of time invested in it, and it will be one of the things that sells product for me when I finish my version of it. You're on the right track, and kudos to you for thinking of it! Looks like I might have a little competition here! hehe

Top Bottom