photo pen blank with Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rogerpjr

I've done a search in topics but unless I missed it (likely) I didn't see the answers I need. I want to make a pen using a photo of my granddaughter for my daughter. I have never tried casting before and was planning on using clear Alumilite. Here's what I need to know:

1. Should I print the photo on regular paper or photo paper? I'd be using an inkjet printer.

2. What is the best thing to glue the paper to the blank?

3. How should I seal the photo? I heard Modge Podge works good.

4. Can I successfully do this without a pressure pot? Just can't afford to get one right now.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

Roger, I have used Avery sticker paper. I seal with ca glue, I tried mode pose, but it came out cloudy. I had the sticker paper cover the entire tube. I have successfully castes without a pressure pot. Follow directions in library.

Dave

bkersten

Most of my csting is done using photos printed onto, and sized to the tube circumfrance on Avery 8253 inkjet shipping labels. NOW, the same item # comes with "Vibrant Color- designed for brilliant high-res images & sharp text" on the package front, AND, the same item # with out it. The Staples in my area has not had the vibrant color for several yrs now, and I've had to order it on line. I have found that it gives, for me, the best photo once dried under the PR blanks I do up. I use a Qtip w/thin CA to seal the photo, spray w/ accelorator, and let it dry/degas for several hrs wraped in a 3x3 post it note. I stir the PR so as not to get bubbles, and pour at an angle into the mold to not get bubbles under the blank there as well. I've never used a PP and, so far all has worked. Let them dry a day outside the mold, and then turn. Have Fun:) , Bob

Hoover015

Image Casting

Greetings from Texas Roger. I have done some casting using pictures that I and others have taken. I use the OL3072WJ weatherproof labels from OnlineLabels.com. I also use an inkjet printer.They have a template program that you can use but I find it easier to use Avery. I also use a pressure pot when casting. If you have any questions that I can help you with, you can contact me using my AOL e-mail address. I don't log on to the IAP site very often so my e-mail address is best to contact me. The address is hoover015@aol.com

Gary

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I'm starting to play around with casting myself. I just purchased some of the weatherproof labels Gary mentioned above. If you want some, PM your address. I'll send you a few sheets. No charge.

Top Bottom