Photo Albums

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to continue experimenting with the photo albums. If you are reasonably computer savvy, and you had photos in our old photo album, please consider reading below. I will eventually make some detailed guides on how to manage your photo album, but right now I need a few people who are willing to poke around without instruction to help me test a couple things.

On our old site, the photo "albums" were not really albums at all. The appearance of albums was created by grouping photos by owner. Here, we have actual albums as containers for our photos. when the old photos were migrated, they were put into a single album called "Member Photo Albums" What I want to do is move all that content into individual member albums.

What I wanted to do was programatically create albums for each member who has any photos, then move those photos into the member album. That is an extremely difficult programming task due to many complexities that I won't get into. What I'd like to try instead is to "spread the pain" (share the love?) by asking members to create their own albums.

YOUR MISSION, if you choose to accept it...
  1. Go to the Member Albums Category and create an album with an album title that exactly matches your member name.
  2. Note that you need to upload at least one photo when you create the album.
  3. Let me know when you've done this (post here or send me a PM), and I'll try a couple different methods to move your content
Once we have about a dozen testers, we'll hold while I see how things work.

Thanks for your help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Jeff I will try to play along with you. A couple things I see at one time I was able to see all my past photos from the other site under media section. Now just one photo is there. Hopefully they are not lost.I did make a new album that you can play with. When doing this I noticed that the description portion is limited in characters that can be used. Hopefully that can be increased. I jump in and out of here during the day so if you need me to try something I may not see it right away but will get back to you.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
OK, let's put this on hold for the moment. I managed to whack the old albums out of view and I can't get them back without some database work.

GaryMGg

Hi Jeff
When you get them back, you may test with my old pics too.

I created an album and a .nn got added; this might make the job harder since the album is Username.SomeNumber

If we could select our old photos by filtering ours from the old collection, could we move them en-mass ourselves?

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jeff
When you get them back, you may test with my old pics too.

I created an album and a .nn got added; this might make the job harder since the album is Username.SomeNumber

If we could select our old photos by filtering ours from the old collection, could we move them en-mass ourselves?

I've moved all your images into your new album. Give it a look and see if it looks reasonably correct.

Unfortunately, you can't move them. You can delete what you don't want.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff I will try to play along with you. A couple things I see at one time I was able to see all my past photos from the other site under media section. Now just one photo is there. Hopefully they are not lost.I did make a new album that you can play with. When doing this I noticed that the description portion is limited in characters that can be used. Hopefully that can be increased. I jump in and out of here during the day so if you need me to try something I may not see it right away but will get back to you.

John

I had to rename your album. I need the album title to be just the username, such as "jttheclockman". So "JTTHECLOCKMAN'S Photos" wasn't going to work.

I moved all of your photos from the old albums to your new album. See if it looks correct.

GaryMGg

I've moved all your images into your new album. Give it a look and see if it looks reasonably correct.

Unfortunately, you can't move them. You can delete what you don't want.

Well that's slick; nice work and thanks.
Hopefully, you're just writing SQL queries.

GaryMGg

Just a thought:
Since we thought they were actually albums, why not write SQL to create the album per username and link the images into those new albums?
I expect 95% of folks would be grateful
:cool:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought:
Since we thought they were actually albums, why not write SQL to create the album per username and link the images into those new albums?
I expect 95% of folks would be grateful
:cool:
That was my first thought. Programatically creating the correct album user permissions is next to impossible. I discussed that with the developers and there's no foolproof way to use SQL to create the album as the user such that the permissions end up just as if the user had done the creation. I'm trying to dissect the permissions blob, but it's not exactly intuitive. Ironically, we had this exact same problem when we went from the Snitz forum albums to vBulletin in '09.

jttheclockman

Ok Jeff I just looked at my album. I have to actually click on one of the two photos to have the others uploaded to the album. I have asked this before and it just is makes things complicated is this use of the word Media. When I click on Your Media my old album comes up and i can not add to this. If i click on Your Album then 2 photos show which are two that I uploaded for you to see when first asked. Now when I click on one of those photos is when my entire album comes up. Is this the way this is suppose to work and why do we need Your Media as an option??

Curly

Jeff I have a suggestion for the future when you have time. I never created an album on the last site because it was a separate task from posting in a thread. Would it be possible to have the option when posting pictures in a thread of "Add To Your Album" and if selected automatically have a copy go there too? Thus posting and adding to the album at the same time.

Thanks for considering........and all the hard work you are doing for the forum.

jttheclockman

Jeff I have a suggestion for the future when you have time. I never created an album on the last site because it was a separate task from posting in a thread. Would it be possible to have the option when posting pictures in a thread of "Add To Your Album" and if selected automatically have a copy go there too? Thus posting and adding to the album at the same time.

Thanks for considering........and all the hard work you are doing for the forum.

Pete as with the old site I bet it is easier to do the other way around. If you remember there was a tab to the right of the thread box where you could very easily link a photo from your album. here it is a matter of copy and paste the link from the album something like the set up in PhotoBucket.

Curly

Thanks John but that is still a separate operation. You have to put a new picture in the album and then open a thread to reply and link to. Correct? If I'm already replying to a thread and decide to add a picture from my computer I would at the very least have to open another tab/window to add to the album, close it without having a mind puff and turn off both tabs, loosing everything and then return to the reply to link it. That is to me, yup I'm lazy, is too much playing around. There are times when I decide mid-posting to go into the shop to take a picture, come back before the screen shuts off and upload the picture to the computer to download and that is enough without juggling another tab window too. Anyway if Jeff can easily do it great, if not I'll survive without an album.

jttheclockman

I guess Pete. But making an album is so easy and I am sure will get even easier as Jeff tinkers with things. This way any photos are always preserved forever. never know with threads. We are having problems right now that Mark brought up about photos not being in threads he posted to on the older site. he makes a good point that the discription or answer given was based on photos that he supplied and the answer to the OP question has less of a meaning now because the photos are not there. It would be so simple to go back and add the photos direct from his album or anyone's album. This is the point that I am trying to make. Adding a photo to a thread is a click and weather you do that click in an album or the thread is up to you I guess. Maybe he can incorporate what you ask but as I said it is possible the other way around already.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Pete

I'll keep this in mind. It requires custom coding, but Xenforo is designed specifically to enable that sort of thing.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jeff,
I think I created an album and added a picture. Thank you.

Jim - I moved all your old photos over to the new album. The system can't seem to generate a thumbnail for the photo you uploaded when you created the album. Can you delete that one photo it and try uploading it again?

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
OK, let's put this on hold for the moment. I managed to whack the old albums out of view and I can't get them back without some database work.
Jeff,
Are you wanting new albums created or are we still on hold?

Jim15

Jim - I moved all your old photos over to the new album. The system can't seem to generate a thumbnail for the photo you uploaded when you created the album. Can you delete that one photo it and try uploading it again?

Ok Thank you Jeff.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually that was accidental timing!! I was trying to replace my signature picture. Hope I did not screw anything up, Jeff!!

rherrell

@ed4copies @rherrell Your photos are transferred to your albums. Thanks!
THANKS Jeff!!! I have a LOT of photos to delete, is there an easier way to do it? I can only delete one at a time and when I do it brings me back to the MEDIA page and I have to navigate back to my album after every deletion. It would be great if we could select multiple photos and delete just once.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
THANKS Jeff!!! I have a LOT of photos to delete, is there an easier way to do it? I can only delete one at a time and when I do it brings me back to the MEDIA page and I have to navigate back to my album after every deletion. It would be great if we could select multiple photos and delete just once.

Yes, you can delete many at once. When you're looking at your album photos, if you hover over a thumbnail, you should see a checkbox in the upper left of the photo. Tick that, and a box should pop up at the bottom of your screen (presuming you're not using an ancient browser), and there are controls to delete several at once.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, you can delete many at once. When you're looking at your album photos, if you hover over a thumbnail, you should see a checkbox in the upper left of the photo. Tick that, and a box should pop up at the bottom of your screen (presuming you're not using an ancient browser), and there are controls to delete several at once.

Just tried that - very nice. Can clean up some not noteworthy images

rherrell

It doesn't work for me, the only thing that happens when I hover is a box on the bottom appears with the name of the file. HOWEVER...if I go to my MEDIA page that method works. If I delete the photo from my MEDIA page will it be removed from my ALBUM page?

Top Bottom