Phew!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hippie3180

Hippie3180

I finally got through my first wood fountain pen I've made by myself. The first try I accidentally sanded through my cap, right at the lip on the body end. The second cap had a small knot or buggy place and as I was turning the cap, it created a hole right in the middle. So, 3 caps and 2 bodies later(I didn't have the bandwidth to do another body to make sure body and cap matched after all the cap problems) I finally got a pen out of all my work. It's very simple, Peruvian Walnut with partial Alumilite sleeves and section, but I did it. Phew! It was a whole drama, but feels good to get through it.
IMG_1529.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

I finally got through my first wood fountain pen I've made by myself. The first try I accidentally sanded through my cap, right at the lip on the body end. The second cap had a small knot or buggy place and as I was turning the cap, it created a hole right in the middle. So, 3 caps and 2 bodies later(I didn't have the bandwidth to do another body to make sure body and cap matched after all the cap problems) I finally got a pen out of all my work. It's very simple, Peruvian Walnut with partial Alumilite sleeves and section, but I did it. Phew! It was a whole drama, but feels good to get through it. View attachment 372169
Very nice work!! Is that a ca finish? Its awesome!!well done!

Hippie3180

Gorgeous Michele

What do you mean by "partial Alumilite sleeve"
These are not full sleeves, they extend partially up into the cap and body allowing for threading and stability where the blank is more fragile. I need some different to do full sleeves and there is a slight taper, tapers require either stepped full sleeves or partial.

darrin1200

These are not full sleeves, they extend partially up into the cap and body allowing for threading and stability where the blank is more fragile. I need some different to do full sleeves and there is a slight taper, tapers require either stepped full sleeves or partial.
Ahhh. That sounds good for a solid straight grained wood. Not sure how well I would hold up with some really gnarly grained burls.
Stepping is fairly easy, just be careful not to leave air pockets that the glue might or might not fill. I try to size, anything with a shoulder, to match the flat end mills I have.

Top Bottom