Petrified Wood Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dcameraman

dcameraman

It's been a while since I've posted anything . . . I've been busy, I got married, had a kid . . .

Anyway, I took a solid piece of petrified wood and turned it into this . . . Kit is the Mistral.

Boxes were a learning experience! So many different facets, but you can figure almost anything out on youtube.

Pen002.jpgPen002-5.jpgPen002-1.jpgDSC02148.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Very well done . I think that the wood grain must make that one of the most difficult stones to work with . Most of the pieces I find don`t have the structural integrity to even begin thinking of a project like that . I`ve had many wrecks just tumbling it , and drilling a hole for a pendant cord .

dcameraman

Very nice pen Josh excellent fit and finish. I would love to here more about how the petrified wood was to work with.
This chunk was actually rather pleasant. It drilled easy enough, ground and polished rather well. I've had some stone drive me nuts. I'd drill the body and then start on the cap only to have it break part way through!

dcameraman

Very well done . I think that the wood grain must make that one of the most difficult stones to work with . Most of the pieces I find don`t have the structural integrity to even begin thinking of a project like that . I`ve had many wrecks just tumbling it , and drilling a hole for a pendant cord .
This stone was remarkably easy! I've had many more frustrations with jasper and quartz.

dcameraman

Very nice pen and box. I would love to hear more about your adventure in creating or getting someone to produce the box.
Thank you! YouTube is an amazing resource! Probably the best tutorial was by SageReynolds. Lots of good tips and tricks.

You start with 1/8 hardboard and cut it up. Then you glue it together and wrap it with fabric. The insert is 2" thick foam. I cut slots in it the right size to squeeze the pen and case. I covered the foam with satin fabric. It sticks to the foam with spray glue.

The tutorials on YouTube are much more in depth, and just seeing it done helps a LOT.

Top Bottom