Perplexed with my Plexi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcollazo

I've been using the plexi finish for the last couple of weeks with great success. Friday I made 2 cigars to be delivered today (Monday). The finish looked perfect and I left them on the bench. Saturday morning I admired them again and put them in the velvet pouches that BB sells. I was getting ready to drop them off today when I decided to take one last look. I had quite a shock!!! The pens looked like they had never been micro-meshed! I checked the pens made before and after these two with the same batch of plexi and they were fine. On further inspection I noticed the the pattern on the pens were not just circular. It looked like a grid. Evidently the pens had picked up the pattern of the cloth inside the velvet pouches.

I've just completed the refinishing of the the pens and will drop them off in an hour. Has this happened to anyone else? Are there any hardeners that can be added to the plexi mix? The 2 dozen or so pens I've finished with plexi haven't shown this problem. Only the 2 in the pouches.

All theories will be considered.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

First I don't know what pouches BB sells.

On the ones I have, though the pouches are velvet outside...it is actually plastic inside and I am betting thy reacted with whatever acetone residue that remains on your finish (or pen).

terrymiller

Joe after having started the plexi finish about 6 months ago I have not experienced the problems stated above. I use the velvet pouches on my pens all the time with no problems. Like Dave asked are you using a topcoat and how long is the pen curing prior to sanding.

alamocdc

I agree with Dario. The inside of my pouches is vinyl and it is probably reacting with the trace amounts of acetone in the finish. This could happen even after a month or more. It's possible that a few good coats of TSW would guard against this, but you'd need to let it cure for a day or so before using the pouch and seeing what the result is. Trial and error should tell you if and when you can use the pouches with this finish. For example, I know from experience that chrome tanned leather reacts to lacquer (regardless of curing time... even months later). It looks like you just found another.

jcollazo

After reading the above answers, I think what happened was that these two pens did not have time to volatilize the acetone (cure). The other pens I mentioned were made for my inventory. Their finished, but unassembled, blanks are still on my pegboard rack with nothing touching them. These two I basically rushed. They should have stayed out of the pouches until delivery time. Also, I have been applying the TSW just before delivery, so they didn't have any polish.

An expensive lesson, in my time, but the day I stop learning something is the day I ...........

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom