Perfume Bottle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Ash approximately 6" tall. Turned using the "lost wood" approach.

2E985FF0-9B95-41F3-B115-2369839AD18F.jpeg
DB80E62F-1818-43FA-9C44-CA18B049ABD6.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

In a nutshell, You glue up three pieces of wood with layers of paper from a brown paper bag between the wood layers. The wood in the center will be the "lost wood". Carefully mount the piece making sure it's centered on the middle layer, (you have to be precise so that the outside pieces end up being Symmetrical). Turn and hollow. Separate at the glue joint, carefully sand off the paper and glue maintaining the flats. Glue the two outside pieces back together, sand and finish.
Beautiful! What is the lost wood approach?

EricRN

In a nutshell, You glue up three pieces of wood with layers of paper from a brown paper bag between the wood layers. The wood in the center will be the "lost wood". Carefully mount the piece making sure it's centered on the middle layer, (you have to be precise so that the outside pieces end up being Symmetrical). Turn and hollow. Separate at the glue joint, carefully sand off the paper and glue maintaining the flats. Glue the two outside pieces back together, sand and finish.
I see. Very interesting. I was wondering how you got the oblong shape on the lathe and this explains. Very cool technique!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Brown paper bag? I thought the thin double stick carpet type tape would be used, or - are they not strong enough?

I saw a lost wood vase on - pintrest, I think, a couple of years ago. Could have been AAW. It was very Fascinating.

You do excellent "out of the box" turnings! It makes one "think".

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Brown paper bag? I thought the thin double stick carpet type tape would be used, or - are they not strong enough?

I saw a lost wood vase on - pintrest, I think, a couple of years ago. Could have been AAW. It was very Fascinating.

You do excellent "out of the box" turnings! It makes one "think".
I would not trust the double sided tape especially when hollowing. I turn the outside and wrap it with tape before hollowing the inside.

Top Bottom