Perfect Fit Pencil in cherry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

When my son and his wife moved out of town almost 5 years ago she gave me a branch from the cherry tree in their back yard asking if I would make a pen out of it. I stored it to let it dry completely before turning it this week.

She wanted a .5mm pencil which, as far as I can tell is only available in the Schmidt DSM 2006. I've made a number of perfect fit pencils for another son who used them throughout middle school and high school, so made this for her. It came out much nicer looking than I expected.

P1020686.JPG
P1020687.JPG

I will give it to her tomorrow!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Cherry is a lovely wood for making pens and pencils !!

Nice work, Steve !!!

I love the 3 decorative black rings near the nib !!

SteveJ

Cherry is a lovely wood for making pens and pencils !!

Nice work, Steve !!!

I love the 3 decorative black rings near the nib !!
For those rings I cut grooves and attempted to burn them with wire, something I've done before, but I couldn't get the cherry to burn. I ended up painting the grooves. Then the paint ran when I applied the CA finish...

magpens

For those rings I cut grooves and attempted to burn them with wire, something I've done before, but I couldn't get the cherry to burn. I ended up painting the grooves. Then the paint ran when I applied the CA finish...

Whatever ..... those rings still look really good and add a lot to the overall appeal of the pencil !! . Well done !!

Kcimdrib

Great work I like Cherry good all round wood turns easy and finishes well. Sure made a good job Steve

Kcimdrib

I usually use Piano Wire no problem also I use a piece of Formica works well. But whatever you did it gave the desired effect.

SteveJ

I usually use Piano Wire no problem also I use a piece of Formica works well. But whatever you did it gave the desired effect.
I wonder if my wife will miss it if I took one out of our piano....
I was using copper and it failed before getting the cherry hot enough.
I like burning instead of painting, so I'll lay my hands on some better wire at some point.

Bats

I generally use a guitar string, but it's even easier to notice when you've stolen one of those.

Tangent: Has anyone come up with a method of CA finishing that can maintain the "grippyness" of burned lines? I've never been able to get a decent finish over them that doesn't completely fill in the grooves.

Kcimdrib

I generally use a guitar string, but it's even easier to notice when you've stolen one of those.

Tangent: Has anyone come up with a method of CA finishing that can maintain the "grippyness" of burned lines? I've never been able to get a decent finish over them that doesn't completely fill in the grooves.
Don't think you will achieve it with CA but Melamine Laquer will give a good finish and not build up in the grooves.

Top Bottom