Perfect Fit Pen and Pencil in Chechen Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

These barrels were glued up for years and I finally got around to turning and completing them.

Attachments

• PA310005.jpg
    PA310005.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 159
  • PA310006.jpg
    PA310006.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 155
  • PA310007.jpg
    PA310007.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 135
  • PA310008.jpg
    PA310008.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 121
  • PA310009.jpg
    PA310009.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice pen. I like the center band on that kit. Where did you get the kit and it it equivalent to a cigar pen kit? Thanks

hilltopper46

Nice pen. I like the center band on that kit. Where did you get the kit and it it equivalent to a cigar pen kit? Thanks
The Perfect Fit is a Berea kit that I bought through Exotic Blanks. It's been around for longer than I have been making pens. There is an option on the center band - or at least there used to be. The pencil uses a Schmidt mechanism with the quarter-turn transmission that is standard with the kit.

its_virgil

Smaller diameters than a cigar pen. What I like is ease of converting to a pencil. Just replace the parker refill with tge Schmidt pencil mechanism (sold separately). Official name is the Pertect Fit Convertible.

hokie

These barrels were glued up for years and I finally got around to turning and completing them.
Beautiful pen and pencil! I really like chechen burl.
I'm intrigued by the pencil specifically. I checked out the product pages of both Berea and Exotic blanks and I don't seem to understand how replacing the pen refill (that extends and retracts with a twisting motion of the upper barrel) can turn into a pencil by replacing the ink refill with a pencil mechanism that works by clicking up and down. I hope that makes sense.
Can anyone explain the operation and how it works? Thanks in advance!

hilltopper46

Beautiful pen and pencil! I really like chechen burl.
I'm intrigued by the pencil specifically. I checked out the product pages of both Berea and Exotic blanks and I don't seem to understand how replacing the pen refill (that extends and retracts with a twisting motion of the upper barrel) can turn into a pencil by replacing the ink refill with a pencil mechanism that works by clicking up and down. I hope that makes sense.
Can anyone explain the operation and how it works? Thanks in advance!
The transmission is a quarter-twist. With the pencil mechanism, each time you twist, the transmission pushes on the top of the mechanism and it extends the lead 1/8-3/16 inch. If the lead is extended too far, you twist and leave the pencil in the twisted position while you push the lead back into the mechanism, then you return the mechanism to the neutral (holding) position.

hokie

The transmission is a quarter-twist. With the pencil mechanism, each time you twist, the transmission pushes on the top of the mechanism and it extends the lead 1/8-3/16 inch. If the lead is extended too far, you twist and leave the pencil in the twisted position while you push the lead back into the mechanism, then you return the mechanism to the neutral (holding) position.
Totally makes sense now. You have to do the retract twist to "set" the lead in place. Not immediately intuitive, but now I got it. Thank you!

sorcerertd

I like Chechen even in a straight grain, but this burl is beautiful! I like that kit, too. I'm surprised I'd never seen it before.

For those interested here they are at the Berea site. There are 2 different band types. I might have to give them a try, but I really need to stop buying stuff for a while (Riiiight, like that will happen.)

Top Bottom