Peppermill questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Hello guys,

Wanted to try peppermills...what will I need and where to get the best kits?

Any help/tips will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

Dario,

I have some on order from CSUSA that are due to arrive today. Haven't turned any yet so I'll share my horror stories with you soon [:D]

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Hello guys,

Wanted to try peppermills...what will I need and where to get the best kits?

Any help/tips will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dario,

Check my post in the other things we make.
I posted pics of my peppermill in process.
I use the kits from csua. only need 2 3/4" diameter block of wood by 1" longer than the kit you choose. you will also need a 1", 1 1/2" fostner bit, 1/4" drill bit. a extension for the fostner bit will be helpfull

Leon

vick

I used the regular CSU ones not the crushgrinds. My first advice is do not start with the really long ones. I got 10 inch ones and they are a pain to drill.

melogic

I did the same thing Mike did, but I went back to the shorter ones until I get better at them. Leon is right on when he talks about the forstner bit extension. This comes in handy and really is a neccesity for the peppermills. Good luck Dario, and don't forget to post pictures when you are done. [;)][:D]

Ptolemy

Don't forget about a longer tool rest if you don't have one. The typical pen length 5" tool rest makes rounding an 8" blank difficult. I didn't think about this small detail until after I ordered everything else I'd need.[:(] I also have the CSUSA kits. After looking around I likes these the best. I'll be turning my first this week so I have no words of wisdom yet.

Dario,
If you need the longer tool rests, I bought a set of 3 from PSI for my Jet Mini after I broke the original on my Zebrawood bowl... they are the round bar style, with 5/8" posts.. 6, 9 and 12" lengths... works great.

As for the mills, I've done 1 completed so far, and one in the works... real pain is the drilling... most of the kits will give you directions and what tools you'll need.. you can drill with spade bits, but the Forstners will make a much cleaner hole.

RPM

Dario,
I have been using the crushgrind mechanisms available from CSUSA and PSI. This is a top quality mechanism and I believe it carries a lifetime warranty from the original manufacturer ( http://www.allthingspepper.com/ ). The performance of the mill is better than any mill I have ever used and the adjustment for grind size actually works! Due to the design of the mechanism, you have complete control on the dimensions of the finished mill since you trim the shaft to fit your project. I also like the fact that you don't have the little nob on top. I have been using highly figured wood (I found a source of flame walnut rifle stock cut offs from either winchester or remington, I'm not sure) and I've been selling for over $100 each with no problem. You won't do that with a cheap mechanism. I guess it really comes down to your market and the product you want to produce. The crush grind is definately a superior product. I qualify all of this as being my opinion.
Richard

dubdrvrkev

I used a crushgrind in the one I posted a week or so ago. You need 4 forstner bits and a good extension to accept the bits, I used the 6" extension for my monster tool. Pretty straight forward stuff though. Plan it first and plan on making a few jam chucks. Look on Tom Hintz (?) site I think its New woodworker or something like that. He has a good write up for making them. Some sizes may be different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom