Peppermill and saltmill finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

What finishes are good for mills? I made one for my wife and by instinct I applied CA. That is a big pain once you start having beads and coves. Is just oil like Mahoney's walnut oil a good enough finish? What about something like Rubio Monocoat or Osmo Oil?

I was also not thinking everything through totally when I ordered some blanks for the mills. I ordered some chechen and catalog. they both show up and being mild to moderate irritants. I was wondering about some thin CA on the inside to seal the wood.

1080Wayne

I use CA , and that is why I stay away from beads and coves . To my eye , they reduce the elegance of a piece . Personally , I wouldn`t worry too much about the woods . Salt isn`t apt to absorb much other than water . Pepper oils may be more volatile than the ones in the wood , and may go into it . Don`t think there would be anything wrong with applying CA on the inside , particularly if the wood is soft . My thinking may be all wet , though .

jttheclockman

I would shellac inside with dewaxed shellac. Finish outside is subject to choice. To me spray lacquer is a nice look.

Top Bottom