People selecting pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I just finished a rewarding/exhausting 2-week trip to Philmont, New Mexico where I staffed an adult Scout training course. At the end of these trainings, I enjoy bringing out a case of pens and inviting everyone who staffed to select one.

The unique gifts are always appreciated but someone always makes a reference to Harry Potter about wizards selecting their wands.

It is interesting to watch people pick the pen based on feel, materials, etc.

After almost all of the staff (19 of them) had picked, a successful and talented carpenter from San Diego brought up what was left and asked me to recommend a pen for him. I groaned on the inside. He's an awesome human being and a good friend, but also a professional woodworker and I kind of wanted to impress him if I could.

Some of the best pens I had were already gone. I suggested a couple and he gave me frank feedback: "That one's too small for my hands", "I don't like the feel on this one", "there's a bit of a gap between the segments on this one." (Dangit, he's right!)

Finally I pulled out one which had not gotten noticed before. It's the only one I've made out of Hawaiian Koa. I mentioned that the wood was a gift from a friend (from this site) and the only one I've made so far.

His eyes lit up as he said, "My wife and I have been thinking about retiring to Hawaii and 'Koa' is my dog's name!" He smiled big and I was relieved we found a good match.

It is interesting watching people pick pens they vibe with.
Now I only have one problem: I need to make a whole bunch more pens to replace the ones that were given out. Yippee!

- Cullen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

The reasons people buy are indeed varied . Once had a lady from Arizona buy a set of S&P shakers made from palmetto , just to remind herself never ever to go back to Florida , because the heat and humidity had been unbearable for the year she worked on a contract there .

duncsuss

You are right - and it applies to other things beyond pens. I sold a beautiful bowl I made from spalted Silver Birch to a lady who wrote this to me:
I wanted Silver Birch for our anniversary. "Silver" for the silver anniversary; birch to symbolizes rebirth and renewal. Birch facilitates passion, energy and growth, even when dampened. It is a strong symbol for us as we mark this anniversary. Your piece is the right piece for this moment in our lives.
One never knows what is going to speak to somebody else - and messages like this, and the response you got from your friend, are a reminder how important the personal connection is.

TDahl

Great story Cullen. I think the best part of this hobby (obsession) of ours is the reactions people have when receiving handmade pens. Thanks for sharing.

Wmcullen

You are right - and it applies to other things beyond pens. I sold a beautiful bowl I made from spalted Silver Birch to a lady who wrote this to me:

One never knows what is going to speak to somebody else - and messages like this, and the response you got from your friend, are a reminder how important the personal connection is.
What a fantastic and insightful response you received… we both received!

Amanap

Thanks for sharing and a lesson I have to constantly remind myself off. When I am making pens I tend to make what appeals to me and forget about what others might be looking for. I like a very specific pen and I bet 90% of what I make fits in that mold, something I need to get away from doing.

Again, thanks for sharing and very cool that you gave all those pens away.

Great story Cullen! I never made it to Philmont but always wanted to go. Some people really like the "Story" behind a particular piece of wood and I always try to include it if I know where that specific piece of wood came from.

Wmcullen

Great story Cullen! I never made it to Philmont but always wanted to go. Some people really like the "Story" behind a particular piece of wood and I always try to include it if I know where that specific piece of wood came from.
Tom: and it's worth noting that it's your koa that made this special. Thanks again for it!!

Top Bottom