Pentel Mechanical Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RockingRP

Someone posted one they made on another site. Got the itch to make some. I did some with and some without the pocket clip. Took a number of failures to get em right. Really like them and they are fun to turn. Two are awaiting innards. L-R: cocobolo, cherry burl, mahogany, cow camphor, maple burl, ?, cocobolo & almond.
4386783A-6776-4035-AD5F-9E55E8DE34BA.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

Excellent job on those. I have made several of them, and keep some in my shop as shop pencils. I made them because I used them as a drafter for a lot of years and they never gave any problems or wore out. The only complaint I had with the original was they are too skinny for my big hands. When I made them, the grip end was always bigger than the stock pen, in fact the whole pen tended to be bigger. Not much, but they fit my hand better. Have also given away some, and the larger size seems to be appreciated. Or maybe just getting a free pencil?šŸ˜‰

RobS

Excellent taper! I've made about 10. However, I'm impressed by how thin you were able to get the front ends. Very well done, and excellent skill. Unless you've made one you will not understand how hard what @Jolly Red accomplished truly is.

howsitwork

I love those. What a great idea to replace the plastic with a nice quality wood!

The joy of this is you make em to fit you rather than the other way round. well done

RunnerVince

Someone posted one they made on another site. Got the itch to make some. I did some with and some without the pocket clip. Took a number of failures to get em right. Really like them and they are fun to turn. Two are awaiting innards. L-R: cocobolo, cherry burl, mahogany, cow camphor, maple burl, ?, cocobolo & almond.View attachment 243471
Any chance you can link us to the site you got your instructions from, or to a good thread here?

its_virgil

The "Pentel pencil without a step drill" was written way back in 2004. Making the Pentel conversion has changed a lot since 2004. Here is a link to the cleverest way I know to make one. I just wish I had thought of this method but i did not. RIP Rich.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

RicklesssS

Virgil, pretty please can you check that link you so kindly posted?
I'm able to see the first page, but the other 5 I'm getting an error message. :>(
I SO want to turn one of these pencils!
Ricklesss

its_virgil

Virgil, pretty please can you check that link you so kindly posted?
I'm able to see the first page, but the other 5 I'm getting an error message. :>(
I SO want to turn one of these pencils!
Ricklesss
I can see all pages when I click on the link. I attached the article to this reply.
Don

Attachments

• Rich Klienhenz pentel.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 151
Top Bottom