Wanted Pentel Mechanical Pencil step drill and mandrel set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcl3

I would like to begin making wooden and/or acyrlic Pentel Mechanical Pencil. Iand was wondering if anyone has a step drill and mandrel set that they would like to sell or know where I might be able to purchase one?
I have read Don Ward's wonderful article on making them without the step drill, but I think for now I would prefer to have the step drill and mandrel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Forget the step drill. Dismantle the Pentel and mark the wood a little longer than the plastic body, I add about 1/4". Then mark the centers and rough turn the blank round to 3/4". Insert in your collet chuck.

Next drill with a 17/64" drill bit. Drill 4 5/16" deep. I use a jobber but to start and then switch to a 6" long jobber bit. Keep the bit and wood cool by backing out the drill often and drilling on a slow speed. Now flip the blank and drill the nib end of the blank with a 5/32" bit. Stop as soon as you feel no resistance on the bit. Both bits available at my local hardware store. No special bits needed.

jcl3

Forget the step drill. Dismantle the Pentel and mark the wood a little longer than the plastic body, I add about 1/4". Then mark the centers and rough turn the blank round to 3/4". Insert in your collet chuck.

Next drill with a 17/64" drill bit. Drill 4 5/16" deep. I use a jobber but to start and then switch to a 6" long jobber bit. Keep the bit and wood cool by backing out the drill often and drilling on a slow speed. Now flip the blank and drill the nib end of the blank with a 5/32" bit. Stop as soon as you feel no resistance on the bit. Both bits available at my local hardware store. No special bits needed.
Thank you for your help! Greatly appreciated!

monophoto

That web link doesn't work for me.

I made my own step drill. There was a thread several years ago on redressing Pentel Pencils in which I described my process. Basically, I used a standard 7mm pen tube to give the barrel more strength; the pen tube has a 1/4" ID, so I made my step drill from a length of ordinary 1/4" mild steel rod - I mounted the rod in a chuck on the lathe, and with a bit in a jacobs chuck in the tailstock, I drilled a 5/32" hole in the end of the rod. Then, I cut the end off a standard 5/32" drill bit, and epoxied it into the hole. That resulted in a 1/4" rod that would fit inside the tube in the barrel, with a short 5/32" bit at the end.

I drilled partway through the blank using a 7mm bit, and then glued a 7mm tube in the hole. After the glue cured, I inserted the step drill into the tube, and completed the hole to the end of the blank.

Top Bottom