Pens turned from spruce wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brage

Brage

These were made from branches of Norway spruce (Picea abies). The branches of these trees have a dense and tough wood, which may show elegant patterns. I have not seen many spruce pens out there on the web.

Attachments

• DSC_0586.jpeg
    DSC_0586.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 1445.jpg
    1445.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thefozz

Brage, that's a beautiful wood and pen. I really like the grain pattern and light tone of it. I recently picked up a few branches of Fraser Fir (Abies fraseri) I found lying on the ground up at the peak of a mountain in the Appalachians. I can't wait to turn it and see what sort of patterns are hidden in it - hopefully as pretty as your Norway Spruce!

Brage

For a finish, I used first a coat of BLO, then several coats of BLO/CA, and lastly polishing with EEE Ultrashine. However, I am not entirely happy with the finish, as some dull spots are present. Maybe more layers of CA were needed.

TonyL

These were made from branches of Norway spruce (Picea abies). The branches of these trees have a dense and tough wood, which may show elegant patterns. I have not seen many spruce pens out there on the web.
Well done, matched, turned, and finished. Had no idea how beautiful that wood is.

magpens

Very Beautiful Pens !! . Welcome to IAP, Brage !!

I love the colors and the grain pattern in that wood !

lefyldepens

I have made some pens from reclaimed track from the Manchester Velodrome here in the UK. The wood used is Norwegian spuce which I have found tough to turn as it splinters at ends. I'm going to try and soak a piece in hardener and see if I can achieve a better result.

You have done an excellent job to make a superb pen

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom